What Effect is What?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Joe

Jun 19, 2004
    i've been wanting to get some efects for my bass, hopefully getting a finky feel to it, but i have no idea what there is. I have an ODB 3, but i dont want to feel restricted to boss pedals, i look at eleco harmonics, but they all have names like small stone that doesn't seem to tell me anything about the effect. What effects would you advise?
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    what you should do is go to a store that has a lot of effects and try them out. It doesn't hurt to buy from a place that has a good return policy also
  3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Funky = Envelope Filter. Makes that wacka-wacka-bow-wow noise as you play thru it. EBS BassIQ is a really really good one.

As far as ElectroHarmonix goes, let's see... Small Stone is a phaser, Small Clone is a chorus, Frequency Analyzer is a ring modulator, MicroSynth is a combination env filter and synth oscillator I think, and the Bass Balls is a combo env filter and fuzz.

All that is "put simply" of course.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    ..."Ring Modulator"? "Synth Oscillator"? I've been cruising the effects forums for about a year, and I have no idea what those are.

Envelope filters and modulation effects like a delay, chorus, or flange are all very viable for funk. A good wah pedal too (Dunlop 105Q, f'r instance).
  5. Go to the Electro Harmonix Pedal Page and check them all out. They have audio samples from professional players. It will explain everything.
  6. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Actually, the Electro-Harmonix Bass MicroSynth is really just a set of filters, an octaver, and a small distortion setting. I could easily one up a Bass Microsynth by using an EBS Octabass and Prescription Electronics Depth Charge into the loop of a Lovetone Meatball.

A ring modulator works thusly. It consists of an oscillator that provides what is called a carrier tone. Then what the ring modulator does is it combines the input signal with the carrier tone and outputs the sum and the difference of it. So say the carrier tone is 150 Hz and you play an E at 40Hz (barring the fact that there are more freqencies in a low E due to harmonic content), what you would get is 190Hz and 110Hz respectively. It's called a ring modulator because the resulting sound is somewhat bell like. For ring modulators check out the Lovetone RingStinger and the Big Briar Moogfooger Ring Modulator.