Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What effect(s) are/is this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Microbass, May 21, 2004.

1. Hey. it will be evident that i dont post in effects, and have very little experience or knowledge with effects.
    however im finally becoming a little more interested in picking up certain ones, first. i have a clip from a green day gig, im just wondering what effects Billie is using on the guitar, apart from distortion.

also, will this work well on my bass?

thanks. :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    sounds like a Flanger to me.

Check Money by Pink Floyd for more flanged out guitar. I believe Jason Newsted has used one in a song before, but I can't remember which exactly.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm going to say a square-wave tremelo.

4. also, i should've added, could you also suggest manufacturers of this ttype of effect? i have little money to spend, and im going to ask around some friends if they have anything.

thanks for the replies guys. im pretty sure thats not a flanger, at least alone, its more of the on/off,on/off sound im going for, but anything you guys hear is apreciated! :)

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you don't have much money to drop, and really want a tremelo (I've found only a few uses for one on bass), start with the Boss stuff, as always. If you are willing to do some searching, and spend a bit more, the Diaz Tremodillo is one of the best ever made. The Prescription Electronics Throb, Voodoo Lab Tremelo, and Frantone Vibutron are some of my favorites, too.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's a tremelo, 100%. Go with SoCom on this, get a Boss. If you're loaded, get a Lovetone Wobulator.