1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what effect should I purchase next?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by revroy, Dec 5, 2018.

1. OK, I have a tuner, compressor, octave, chorus, and reverb on my board and my head has a dirty channel available... and I'm reasonably happy with each of them... what should I get next? What pedal do you find a must have that I don't already have?

I've been thinking about an envelope follower... or maybe a plus pedal...

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    HPF.

Spent, 40Hz, GrapeBass and 1 other person like this.
  3. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    What kind of music do you play? What kind of effect or sound are you looking for that aren't covered by what you have already? You have a lot of different flavors to choose from already with what ya got!

mattbass6945 likes this.
  4. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Stumbo beat me to it, I can't live w/o mine anymore. I didn't know about a high pass filter until I joined T.B.

saabfender, GrapeBass and Stumbo like this.
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Wait until you have an idea for a sound that you can’t achieve with your current setup, then get a pedal for that. ;)

MDH bass, hintz, pbass2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I vote Delay or Fuzz. Either of the two will compliment the rest of your effects.

ProfFrink likes this.
  7. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Meris Enzo - it has a filter built in, does delay, has some trmolo features, pitch shifting and oh yeaj, its a synth!

8. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    Do you want us to tell you how to spend your money?

9. pretty much :roflmao:

I play a pretty wide variety of styles as an occasional side player, in an acoustic guitar based pop band, and in church settings... no metal, very little jazz and that there is is pretty tame, no punk... more pop, acoustic, world, a tiny bit of ambient, would like to get into more solo bass stuff (I do have a looper and a beat buddy too). Most of my paying is on a fretless. I play at a low to medium volume and whenever I'm in a larger setting, tend to have FOH support. My general commitment is that if I need more stage volume than my Genzler BA12-3 and 10-2 can provide, the gig is louder than I want to do.

as for an HPF, I don't feel a need to buttress what is already in my heads (around 30 hz. as I understand it). I can envision a time when it might be helpful but given my gigging needs... not so much now.

10. very cool sounding pedal... it is on my short list

11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Sell them all and buy a Helix, you wont ever have to post a question like this again. Rock on.

hintz, Hambone70 and mmon77 like this.
  12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    what effect should I purchase next?

Either(that's how I tend to do it):
    Buy the effect ,a lack of which has either cost you work
    or
    And effects that has been requested by someone you work for/with.
    or
    if it doesn't matter if you have it or not:
    Anything you fancy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. For me, I'd be envelope filter hunting. Funk=fun.

Psillycybin and HolmeBass like this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    At least you’re asking the right question. Some folks would ask you if you NEED another effect, but ...

this is Talkbass. Need is irrelevant here. We’re an enablement club. Are we here to tell you how to spend your money? Absolutely!

I’ll do what everyone here does - tell you what I like, regardless of what you might like.

Overdrive. My recent faves are:

Wample Pantheon - pretty much unknown here, but a great lowish gain tubish drive.

Pike Vulcan. Yes, controversial, but I find Darkglass B3K’s to be too harsh/aggressive, VMT’s to be not agressive/harsh enough, and the Pike to be...just right. Goldilocks, if you will.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Frodolicious and Robb Fesig like this.
  15. @micguy that is pretty much what I was inviting folk to do... tell me what they like.

16. do you have one you prefer? and if so, why that one?

17. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    What is your budget?

Filters are great. There are lots of great options. I don't have hands-on experience with many, but have a Bassballs and a DOD FX25. The Bassballs is cool, but pretty niche and somewhat of a one-trick pony. I like it but probably wouldn't buy if I didn't already have it. The DOD is great. I use it most often as a dub / 'thump' pedal, i.e. with sensitivity all the way down it gives a very bassy sound. Also, it has a nice funky sound if you bring the sensitivity up, you just have to find the right setting for your instrument. A plus side is that you could probably find one for relatively cheap.

That said, that Plus pedal looks pretty amazing! Might need to look into one of those myself...

18. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Hpf/lpf

Or delay

19. It's hard for me to recommend one because the category is pretty versatile, but I'll say if you're going for simplicity of control with a lot of tonal options the EBS BassIQ, if you're looking to learn all the intricacies of envelope following (with a steep learning curve for your trouble) the EHX Qballs. Neither of these are the latest models, but they're what I know that fits the category I mentioned.

20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You’ll fit in well here.

revroy likes this.