1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What effects are neat for fretless besides Octaver (and of course compression)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Feb 21, 2008.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I tried my fretless with a bunch of effects (courtesy of my Zoom B2) today and felt that distortion and chorus seemed to take away a lot from the fretless "feel", i.e. they took away much of the "mwah" and it even felt as if intonation wasn't as cruicial as it used to be when playing my fretless "dry" due to all the overtones covering everything up when using distortion. Of course kicking in my octaver made a world of a difference and got me in the neighbourhood of Pino's awesome trademark fretless+OC2 sound. What effects do you like to use with a fretless to keep the "mwah"? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Well, the other classic is chorus. In a similar vein, detune is good too. I'd even consider a subtle tube-y overdrive.

3. alexsga

alexsga Guest

ring mod.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Anything that adds ambience or space.

Reverb, chorus, light phase maybe. Not flanger IMO though... too clangy.

5. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  6. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    HUGE +1 on fuzz, a la Jaco on Word of Mouth.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The distortion and chorus you used came out of a Zoom, so they aren't the best representation of what's available. Generic answer, but, you can make any effect sound cool with a fretless.

That clip was cool grygrx: I'd guess that to be a synth bassline due to the tonality and the fretlessness, I dig it.

8. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I dig to put an envelope filter, or a phaser (or both!) on my fretless, when the situation is right for that sort of thing.
    But also, for different situations, reverb and perhaps even delay is all right.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks for the advice, guys, I eventually figured out I'd msessed up when putting together my chorus patch for the Zoom and managed to come up with one which boosts the mwah a bit. I'm really broke right now so I'll have to do with what my Zoom puts out.

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I use a little doubling delay on fretless. You can make it a chorus with a little vibrato technique when you want.

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Ebow + delay is fantastic on a fretless.

+1 to any effect working well though.

12. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    The secret to making effects work is moderation. IMO, bass is a much better sounding instrument when effects are minimal. :cool:

13. Era V.

Era V.

Feb 20, 2008
    Croydon, London
    A little bit of chorus is all I'd really use with my Fretless. If you really want to try some distortion I would recommend the Marshall Guv'nor, it has a 3 band EQ which gives it loads of range and it sounds great through a bass.

14. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    if using Ebow you would need really light strings, right?

15. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I love the Guv'Nor!

Funny story about that pedal. The one that I use is originally my guitarist's but he stopped using it so he could use the distortion on his amp. The amp went down a few weeks ago so he wanted to use the Guv'Nor again. It sounded like crap. He twittled for ever and could never get a good sound. I think that it is marketed as a guitar distortion pedal, but it is a bass distortion at heart.

As far as effects for fretless. There was a thread about this a month or two ago. I'll give the same resonse I did then: A good 'mwah' pedal sounds great!

16. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Boo Hiss! ;)

17. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    BMS is fun. A fuzz with a tone blender also fun. Very light delay/chorus is nice.

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Delay! Espically with a high Feedback, min Delay settings.

19. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    overdrive, chorus,'verb,wah,synth and maybe some light compression.

20. I've discovered (through fiddling around) that I like Phase better than Chorus for Fretless.

The Guv'nor has a 4 band EQ, by the way.