What effects do you guys run?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Regurgitator, Jul 14, 2000.

1. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    What effects do you guys recommend/use? I am partial to pedals myself, do you guys prefer rack stuff?
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    A counterpoint....as a guitar player I spent years creating the biggest, baddest pedalboard you could imagine. Then I figured out that the best tone I got was an unprocessed guitar, through a Super Reverb with a single OD pedal for boost.
    When I switched to Bass I learned from that lesson. So I have never used a Bass pedal. Its just a good quality bass into a good quality amp and....my fingers. I really like it that way.By the way I still need work on the fingers but a pedal won't help that.
    Driven Crane and bassinflorida like this.
  3. Effects can be fun, but I tend not to make a practice out of using them all of the time. I have a Zoom 506 and a Boss ODB-3 Overdrive pedal, but I've made a habit to have my amps footswitch in the loop constantly so that I can take out the effects. If there is something that will go wrong during a set, chances are it will be an effects unit.

The Zoom has some cool synth sounds and a pretty good phaser effect. All in all, a little chorus is all I really use though. [​IMG]
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with DaveB all the way, as a guitarist or keyboard player, effects are very useful, but now for bass I like to go for tone through technique and as clear an amp/cab set-up as possible.

But shouldn't this be under the "Effects" part of the board?
  5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I keep it pretty simple. An Ibanez chorus pedal sometimes. That's about it. One accessory I added to my rack, while technically NOT an effect, is a Furman power conditioner. Couldn't believe the difference it made in cleaning the crud out of my sound.
  6. Hands, bass and amp.

interp likes this.
  7. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I'll use a chorus if I'm playing fretless.
    Otherwise the only effect I'll use is a Boss DD-5 delay, for a tiny,tiny bit of reverb. Really seems to "open" the cabinet.

(Wouldn't this belong under "Effects" though?)
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

[This message has been edited by ONYX (edited July 14, 2000).]
  8. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I, myself, need pedals in general. But the ones I like alot at the shops I go to are the Boss Bass Synth, this weird guitar distortion/delay multi effects thing that works pretty well with a bass, Boss Overdrive, chorus, flanger, and fuzz.

As you can see I like weird, unnatural, sound of things (Listen to to much electronica and industrial...) . Though when it comes down with it I like the sound of natural bass alot too. I get some pretty f***ed up sounds just using my amp, tunning low, and using my hands and picks.

But when it all comes down to it, you do, and use, whatever suits the song your playing, if it helps the song, use it.
  9. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Hmmm, I'm trying to look at it objectively, but it seems like bass is an instrument that seldom sees effects of the "guitarists'" variety. Granted, the inherent frequency range in the instrument doesn't lend itself well to certain effects, for instance long reverbs.

I play bass in an 'acid jazz'-style quartet. We cover classic Stanley Turrentine, Grant Green, Meters, Jimmy Smith, etc. Not much room for effects in a band mostly paying tribute to an era of music that inspired us.

I also play in an instrumental song-based collective where there are more effects pedals in use at any given moment (by all participating members) than most music stores have in their collections.

All kidding aside, I run a 4 string fretted bass into a vast array of effects, currently including (but not limited to!): EQ/booster/contour, fuzz (Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face), Octave, Z-vex Seek Wah, Bass Micro-synth, EBS Unichorus (for flange or chorus), envelope filter, Moogerfooger ring modulator, volume pedal, digital reverb/delay, and Lexicon JamMan sampler/looper. With the looper and the seek wah, the grooves I come up with are often very rhythmic and nailed to a tempo, forcing the drummer to really play to the feel I set up. I can't tell you how many times I've become entranced with a particular groove that began emerging within all the effects, and then upon bypassing them completely, I stared in amazement at the simplicity of what I was playing and how DEEP it sounded, not to mention being something I would probably never come up with if I were running dry into an amp.

Playing with effects is not some kind of crutch, and it shouldn't be considered more 'manly' to abandon effects almost completely in favor of that "gool ol clean tone". In the end it's what we're playing, regardless of how many batteries or boxes are in the signal path.
    cheapbasslovin likes this.
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have tried avoiding these type of posts lately cos I get involved in wars about the validity of effects for bass.

Personally I use effects rarely and mainly what I have bought for my guitar. I have been using a CE2 but have already got bored with it. Hope you like that Bruce. (I am smiling). I like a good bass lead and amp and all set flat. Good is subjective.

Anyway the reason I joined in.

Have you used the seek wah for guitar yet?
    I have the Fuzz Factory and its well mad!
    How versatile is the seek wah? Dont worry if I take time to respond if you reply I am a wekend surfer, so thanks in advance.

CS-the medication is working, I'm calm now.
  11. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Puppeteer thanks for the e mail about ZVex stuff you should have a reply soon. CS
  12. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    How do ya like that ring mod? I had a chance to try one once, ant it was WICKED! I couldn't really find a sound that would be usefull in a band setting. Also, have you
    heared about/tried the moogerfooger controll
    prossesor? You can use it to controll your foogers via controll voltages. Anyway, how are you running your ring mod?
  13. trompin64

May 30, 2000
    After trying the effect pedal I was looking at for a while, I decided that effects for me are not where it's at. Also after *accidentally* causing an argument between CS and Bruce L., I'm just working with my bass and my fingers for right now.
  14. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    The ring modulator is a little intangible, and admittedly, very new for me. I am using a Lexicon JamMan for loops and samples, and usually, with something like the Moogerfooger ring mod, you can find and loop an a-rhythmic layer in the middle of a chaotic and cacophonous dynamic and crescendo out of it with bizzarre atonalities repeating... all the while the ring modulator is the main reason for the disturbance in the force.

I enjoy any effect that takes awhile to get used to. The more you spend with an effect, the more it is like playing another responding instrument. You can really appreciate when you hit new plateaus in the learning curve cycle- for me it often inspires a completely new spurt of creativity and songwriting ideas!

The Z-Vex 'seek wah' is a very rewarding foray into old school analog systems.

15. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Boss Chorus Pedal through the loop of my amp.
  16. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    pupeteer, It's good to see another bassist expanding their sonic capabilities. You have a nice little collection there. I am not familiar with the z-vex line. please elaborate and leave a link.

[This message has been edited by 6-stringer (edited July 18, 2000).]
  17. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Generally, I always use some compression when recording D/I. Although, I'm for a natural sound, the paradox is that sometimes a little processing makes a recording sound more natural. I almost never use reverb when recording a bass part: I think that should be added during mastering, if at all.

However, if I'm going after a Chris Squire-like tone on my Ric, I will use a bunch of different effects including some distortion, chorus, compression and eq.
  18. I rackmount, with a "Peavy Bassfex" this is mainly for the multiple EQ's and cab simulators. The other problem that it solves is repeatable settings, with the correction for various rooms coming from the preamp which is usually flat. You also can switch from stereo to biamp with ease.

19. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I, unlike some on this board, like effects. I have found them to be quite fun to fu#k with. I've had a Boss bass EQ which was pretty usefull. I've also had one of those Zoom 506 deals which was (as you could imagine) cool as hell when I had it (I was only 15). Right now I have a Digitech BP8 and I love it. Does a lot of useful things as well as making some really weird sounds. Plus, in comparison to the Zoom, the BP's sound quality is 100 times better.

20. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I've found that for 80% of the stuff I play with my band, my favorite setting is flat eq, no compression, no efx.

That said, I like toys. In my rack system, I have:

ADA pre (has compression, distortion, chorus, 5 band semi parametric eq)
    Peavey Envelope Filter
    dbx Subharmonic Synthesizer
    midi bass system

(check out my gear at http://members.home.net/mgollihur/tools.html

I feel that there are validities to both sides of the debate. There's a lot to be said for letting your fingers dictate the sound - 90% of "your sound" is in your fingers.

However, having effects at my disposal allows me to expand upon the palette of sounds I can use to create the musical textures in our band.

"Gee, wouldn't this sound better with a deep, throbbing synth-bass? I can do that!"

Mark Gollihur
    Bassist, Second Story