1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what effects do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamieb88, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jamieb88

jamieb88

Dec 19, 2006
    hey,
    i've been playing bass about 2 and a half years now, but so far have only bought a bass od pedal. i'm now looking to purchase some more. i play in a indie band taking influence from Â…Trail of Dead, At The Drive-in, Million Dead, DFA 1979, Sonic Youth, The Maccabees, Die Die Die and Radiohead
    The pedals i've been interested in are a delay, a phaser and a chorus. Would these by any good to me? and which would be best?

Thanks

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    OD (and/or distortion and/or fuzz) are pretty much a necessary tool for the type of music you're talking about. As for the others...maybe, maybe not.

My band's music is in a similar vein, and I'm currently using and EHX English Muff'n (gritty OD), EHX Little Big Muff (thick fuzz), and a Digitech Bass Synth Wah (synthy octave). I've had a flanger and envelope filter on my board too, but never really used them for our music. My next toy will probably be a delay (Guyatone MD-3 is the likely victim) for some self-oscillation noise. Depending on your music, a phaser or chorus might be useful, or it might not.

No matter what, don't ever sacrifice being able to lay down a solid foundation. As much noise as Sonic Youth can make, Kim Gordon never fails to keep the groove going.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

:bassist:

phasers are really cool, and octavers, and flangers, and wahs, and filters, and ring mods, and fuzzdistortionoverdrives, and choruses, and delays, and synths..... they're all cool! experiment! but never forget what EricF said.

(there are times, of course, when the groove isn't important... like when you're just creating a SonicallyMayhemicNoizyPastiche and making peoples ears bleed, then hurt, then bleed some more, then feel fantastic and pleased.... then bleed again............................

but usually, the groove is Priority No. One.)

4. jamieb88

jamieb88

Dec 19, 2006
    thanks alot. anyone else got any thoughts?
    what exactly does a phaser do?

5. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    A phaser is a modulation effect that makes a spacey, swooshing sound. Listen to some Larry Graham to hear a good example. Honestly, a phaser won't do you much good in an indie setting, as you'll get lost in the mix if you try to use it in the middle of a song. It's very easy to sound worse when using effects.

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I recommend all effects.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    ...:scowl:

[see my sig]

8. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have no idea where you live, but if you have any music stores around, go and check out all the pedals they have. They may not have some of the boutique brands that get discussed a lot here on TB, but at least you'll have an idea of what different effects sound like.

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Haha, I'm glad to see someone agrees! ;-D :hyper:

:bassist:

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    actually..... yeah.

:)

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    A used pandora PX3B. Several fairly nice sounding effects, will give you a good idea what single effects you may want down the line, and you end up with a great headphone amp with a built in drum machine, short sampler, tuner, device to mix your external music with, and computer interface.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

once you start you can't stop.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If you don't know what effects you need, you don't need any. When a specific sound comes up, figure out what effect (if any) you need to achieve that sound.

14. I agree with EricF: OD/Fuzz is the way to go, then you can use the other pedals you mentioned. And try the phaser, you can get great noises from it.

15. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    I'd say go for a multi effects unit and see what you like.
    After a while, if you're still in the "effects business", you can sell that and go for separate stompboxes.

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...yep...i'm up to 45 pedals :eek: ...ouch :D ...