Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What effects does Bootsy Collins use?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Moonraker, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Does anyone know what effect pedals Bootsy uses? , I can't find out anywhere. I know he uses a lot to get his funky ass sounds , I can't think of any other bass player that uses more than him of such variety.

your help would be much appreciated.

2. I don't know if you can get back issues of BassPlayer but, if you can, get the July/August '91 issue. It has a photogragh of all of Bootsy's floor gadgets.

I think the cornerstone of his sound is the Mu-Tron III peddle. Bassplayer calls it an "envelope follower. An effect that rolls off high frequencies as the signal level decreases. This creates frequency sweeps that follow the decay of each note, resulting in a sound similar to that achieved with a wah-wah pedal."

Anyway, he has quite a few other pedals in his setup so you might want to get a copy of that issue.

3. jbirk

jbirk

Mar 9, 2001
    brooklyn
    basically the trademark-bootsy sound has different names depending on whose product you buy. mutronics was one of the first to make those sort of things, and you can get "new" mutrons nowadays but i think they fall short of other products. here's what i think of the following:

boss envelope filter: if you can find one and it's less than $100, get it. very easy to control, built like a tank, reasonably wide range of tone. my 'old faithful'
    dod enveloper: (i think that's what it's called... it's an emerald green color) not as cool, seems to be either off or very exaggerated. returned it.
    q-tron: can get some good stuff out of it but very hard to duplicate the tones you find. kept it for the occasional recording.
    moogerfooger low-pass filter: freekin' amazing! plug some of the moogerfooger control pedals in and get live control over the controls for some whacked out stuff. my absolute favorite. expensive, looks like it's not quite built for stage use, but if you're careful...

one thing i've noticed when checking out other players use this sort of thing live is the lack of "playing the effect" - - people turn it on and leave it on for the whole song and thump away with either a bad tone or an indescernible effected sound happening. try working it only during a section of a song, or a phrase, or even one well placed note. the crowd loves it!-

4. jbirk

jbirk

Mar 9, 2001
    brooklyn
    oh, i wanted to add....

i got a really good "first side of chocolate city LP" sound when i ran through the moogerfooger set for a subtle filter and then into a sansamp bass d.i. pedal set to sort-of-break-up sound.

it was killer.

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
  6. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Slam, the link did'nt really mention his effects but thanks for the help anyhow.