Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What effects does Myung use in "The Dance of Eternity"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CaM90, Jul 10, 2005.

1. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I want to find the effects he uses in this song. Does anyone have an idea?

2. I so totally second this one. Whatever the thing is that he uses durring the intro when it's just him and Portnoy, it sounds awesome. I wanna know!

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Sounds like a phaser or maybe a flanger (possibly thru a hi-pass fliter) to me.

4. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    ...or the intro of "Never Enough" -- sounds awesome but I have a feeling this isn't very reproducible in a live setting.

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I have seen Dream Theater a number of times. I never liked Myung's live sound. All the notes just disappeared under drums, guitar chords.... I saw his fingers moving incredibly fast, but just heard a low end rumble....

6. One thing about Myung's sound, especially live, is that its so smooth.. besides the fact that he is buried under so much other sound, his sound alone blends with other things, so its hard to hear him a lot of the time. I bet if he had a more agressive bass his sound would be more noticeable.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The beginning of "The Dance of Eternity" is through a flanger of sorts. I don't know what model however. I haven't heard him use it live whenever they do it though.

I think his tone in the studio and live is amazing.

8. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    If I could get the distortion he used in that solo I would be a happy happy teenager. And if i could play it :meh: