1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What effects?? I m a beginner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ComputerPhantom, Dec 9, 2006.

1. ComputerPhantom

ComputerPhantom

Nov 20, 2005
    Brazil
    Hi, I am a beginner and don't know too much about effects. I play Metal, Hard Rock, Funk, Jazz... and I am needing basic effects such as distortions, eq.... What do you suggest?? Thanks

(I play mainly Metal)

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Multi FX, like the Zoom B2 or Behringer V-amp are your best bet. You can try all the different effects. And Amp and Cabinet emulations with the V-amp.

If you're at all handy with a PC, and want to try different effects while practicing. Check into software like Ampeg SVX. It'll let you audition different Amps and Cabinets as well as effects. If you find a combination you like you can actually buy the real hardware that matches.

There are plenty of free VST plugins also.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I think you're going to have to be more specific for us to help. For example, do you want a fuzz, overdrive or distortion? They all have different applications and there are bunches of different styles of each. What I suggest is that you go to your local music store and ask to try out a bunch of different pedals. Have a budget in mind in case you find something you really like, but if you don't you'll at least have enough info to start figuring out what you like.

4. you dont need effects starting off, not effect hating here, but concentrate on your technique, its easy to get sloppy when all your boo boos are covered in distortion.

5. You should check the sound sample thread, the distortion mega thread, the post your pedal board thread, the what do you use your effects for thread, and the faq. You'll see that there a ton of options out there for just about every sound you can think of. Many people suggest trying a decent multi fx pedal and when you find the fx you like then buy better individual pedals that make those sounds.

All that said I play mostly metal/experimental and I use a Tech 21 XXL bass edition for distortion, a Snarling Dogs Bootzilla for wah and fuzz(it does both), a cheap Danelectro FAB flanger(25 bucks Canadian with a patch cord), and a Wasabi forward and reverse delay. Many people here are very happy with the EHX Big Muff, Little Big Muff or Nano Muff for fuzz, Morley or Dunlop for wah, and list of distortions and other types of fx that is way too long to get into here.

Basically you are the only one that knows what you want to sound like. Listen to as many sound clips as you can and try out as many pedals as you can then choose what you want. Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah and also the search function is your friend, you love the search function, you need the search function.:D

6. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    could not have said it any better

7. Multi FX in my opinion too.
    You'll have a lot of stuff to test and have your thoughts.

Then, when you're familiarized with all the effects, you'll be much more confident and certain of your needs.
    When you reach this point, you should go after single stompboxes.

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I agree with most every one here. First, focus on your playing. Then maybe try a cheap multi-effects. Most of them are pretty well suited for heavy metal. The only way to find what you like is to play it.

9. It is never too early to experiment with sound textures and effects. If I were to play only one effect, it would be the Small Stone Phase Shifter.

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    In general, metal features either clean or overdriven bass, depending on the song and the amp used.

I'd suggest an overdrive pedal, but which one... all depends on what specific styles or sounds you're fond of. Metal is a BROAD category... it can include everything from Thrash :)bassist:) to ... *gasp* Nu-Metal :)()