1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What effects is Anthony Jackson using here ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vibhas_2310, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Hey. Check this video out. I loved Anthony Jackson effect when he's playing those chords. Anyone know what that is ?

Here's the video -

Thanks

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    He's using a volume pedal to roll off the initial attack of the notes, giving them a bowed effect.
    You can see his foot on the pedal in part of the vid...

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    besides a volume pedal and what sounds like a mild preamp boost or OD pedal kicked on at 3:58, you're mostly hearing great technique and a great instrument.

4. pmcd

pmcd Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    2:45-3:58 he turns on a pitch shifter playing an octave-up. I believe he uses an older Eventide for that effect. Dont know which model.

Such an awesome solo....

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Don't know if he still uses this, but for a long time AJ was using an Eventide SP2016 (the original circa 1985 multi-effects unit, not the more recent "Eventide Reverb 2016" by Princeton Digital).

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Check out some videos of an instrument called the
    Ondes Martenot ( there's quite a few on youtube)...I think it sounds a lot more like that than a bowed string instrument.

7. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Did he do something with his RH at 2:57? It kind of looks like he might have flicked a switch on the edge of the bass (but I didn't think he had any electronics in there...). An unusual action, and with Anthony typically everything has a purpose.

Jim

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It sort of looked like he was just using his right hand for leverage while holding that one chord--it may have been a difficult left-hand position to hold.

Honestly, I thought the pianist's playing was far more musical and good-sounding than anything AJ did there... :ninja:

9. Nice. Another armchair critic. :rolleyes:

If you think Anthony isn't "musical" here, I'd LOVE to hear what you do consider *is* musical in this setting. And I'd love to hear you come up with something better.

No, AJ isn't "god", never will be. But I seriously question anyone who doesn't hear the magic in AJ's timing, sense of harmony, and contrapuntal lines. What exactly do you listen to anyway that would make AJ "unmusical" by comparison? Name another bassist that could've done this music justice.

Sorry for the OT, but really...

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Defensive much? I specifically and clearly said the PIANIST sounded more musical to me.

11. nah, not really.

I know what you said, but you're comparing apples and oranges. What other bassist on the planet could compare musically to the pianist in this piece?

Doesn't really matter. You have opinions, I have opinions. Neither are worth much.

12. Dick Tree

Dick Tree

May 26, 2011
    Normal, IL
    Agreed...