what effects should i buy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rutkn, Jan 14, 2006.

1. rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Ive been playing bass for around a year. Im own a 2005 music man stingray and i was wondering what effects i should buy.
    im thinking of buying a electro harmonix big muff
  2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    It sounds like you are wanting to know more about effects in general, and I would suggest looking into the "effects forum FAQ" posted above in the Sticky section of the Effects forum.

The Muff is what it is. If you're looking for that sound, then by all means. They are relatively easy to come by.

You might think about a wah or preamp of some kind.

My first pedal purchase was a SansAmp Bass Drive/Direct Input, but mostly because I don't like my bass' pickups or my amp's naturally-biased sound, so I was trying to work around that.
  3. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If someone asked me what effects they needed, my answer would be, "Well, which ones do you need?"

Make sense? If you don't know which ones you need, you probably don't need them.
  4. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Or go with the English Muff'n by the same company. You can get a lot of great sounds out of it with just the stock tubes :D

A proper amp is also a good start, though I'd hold off on a wah until you figure out what you would use it for.
  5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The Biggest Shinyest One You Can Find :D
  6. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    What effects should you buy? ALL OF THEM. Seriously, try as many as you can and stick with the ones you can use. Ultimately, it's up to you, and that is the only right answer. Good luck and be careful......effects are VERY addictive.

P.S. Why isn't there a "Junkie" smiley?
  7. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    With out a fix = :bawl:
    After a fix = :hyper:
    After too many fixes = :bassist:

8. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    The Aphex Bass or Acoustic Exciter pedals are the best thing I've heard in years. Try the BBE exciter too.
    Distorsion: Fulltone Bass Drive II
    Envelope filter: Many good ones out there.:bassist:
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Here's some advice i'm gonna throw out.

If you don't know what you want, you shouldn't get anything.
  10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's good advice. Until you hear an effect that you NEED, just wait. I need/use a chorus pedal to give me a "quasi-fretless" effect with my fretted basses. So far that's all I need so that's all I have.
  11. It depends on what genres you like to play. If you're a rocker, maybe you should invest in a good OD/distortion/fuzz. If you like to funk it up, get an envelope filter. You can get a synth effect to sound, well, synthy. Good pedals for multiple genres would be chorus, flangers, etc.