Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What ELECTRIC GUITAR to buy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Dec 15, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Sorry, this IS a bass forum but I've decided to invest in buying an electric guitar. I'm looking at either a Fender stratocaster or telecaster. Which do you think I should get? Please no, "Niether! Guitars are the devil spawn!".:D I just need something to play around with when I'm not playing the bass.

2. if it's just for messin' around with get a squier instead of fender. about half the price, and they get the good job well enough.

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    That was my initial thought.:)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bah, spend the money get a Standard Fender. Much more solid instrument. I like Strats, and play one, but I would like to buy a low-cost archtop, like the new Ibanez Artcore.

Partially just for the name. Artcore. Sounds like a sub-genre of emo. :D

5. Telecaster. The greatest guitar ever made.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If you only buy one guitar get a Stratocaster, more versatile than the Tele, better balance so it hangs better on your shoulder, and easy to mod with new pickups of every kind if you want to.

At least that's what my guitarist told me. :)

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Fender's MIM Standard Fat Strat is a good one for versatility, IMO. It has a humbucker in the bridge position so you can get the punchy rock sounds, and a great tone from the neck single coil as well.

The Squier version might be OK but I've never tried it.

www.rondomusic.com has Essex and Agile brand guitars that are very cheap yet have very good reviews, you might want to check that out too.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    telecasters are sweet...they sound really good.

9. Get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. What a sweet sounding guitar. Heavy, but sweet. It's pricy though.

And in any case, after some distortion, guitars start to sound the same anyway. Right? ;) Just kidding.

If you must have a Fender though, I'd say the Telecaster.

10. I think the most versatile guitars of all are two-humbucker semi-hollowbodies. Dean makes some very nice ones at very reasonable prices--I was considering buying a Chafin Sarasota for a while before I decided that I really am not a very good guitarist. :rolleyes:

11. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I ended up with a Squier Strat pack. Sam Ash didn't have a Squier Tele even though they plainly advertise it in their catalogue. :mad:

12. no no no, get Gibson. Epiphone is to Gibson, as Squire is to Fender. less quality, but less price. i myself recomend a Gibson SG, or a BC Rich Virgin, but you already bought a Squire, so it isnt quite as useful to ya anymore.

and on the topic of buying guitar stuff, if you want amazing sound you need a Marshall stack, the AVT 150 with 4x12 is a gooder, and not to hefty of a price tag. i picked one up for $1700(canadian), and its a beautiful sounding rig.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    OLP's are really nice too, and pretty inexpensive. i'd get the MM4 (silouhette copy) and add a coil tap and rear pickup switch. tasty.

14. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Hey, you could always try an Essex :D

Their basses get such high praise, I'm sure the guitars are good too :) And cheap

15. we got my little sister an essex strat copy for her birthday. when i get home at the end of the week, i'll play it and let you know what i think.

16. I have a MIM Tex Mex Strat and a MIM Nashville Tele. I think you can't go wrong with either guitar type but here's what I think:

Stratocaster - It has a wider tonal range. Sounds best when clean. It has a chunkier neck which feels fuller. It has a whammy bar (which I never use) but it's nice to know it's there. The body is sculpted and feels good when playing and sitting.

Telecaster - Less tonal range but has a better distorted tone. It still sounds good clean but has that distinct twang. The telecaster body is definitely chunkier and more uncomfortable - very square.

If you look at the used guitar market, you could probably score a Strat and a Tele for the cost of a new guitar. Thanks to smart shopping, I scored two mint guitars at half price.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm gonna have to disagree. The mid-level Epiphones, in my eyes, blow away the best Squier intsruments. I love Epiphone, they're great quality at decent prices.

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Paid around $300 for MIJ Fender Telecaster, I'm pretty happy :)

I find Telecaster more basic kind of guitar - sortta like P of guitar world.

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    MIM Strat. Can't go wrong there.

20. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    get on Ebay and buy someone's used Warmoth(guitar or bass). They go pretty cheap and it'll probably have good hardware and p/u's too. 2 of my 3 guitars are built from parts and I prefer them over my Schecter every time.