1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Electro Acoustic Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doshinski, Aug 24, 2007.

1. doshinski

doshinski

Aug 24, 2007
    Hello all bassists, i have been dabbling with bass for a year or two now and have decided to buy an electro acoustic. I have been looking around but dont really know what for! there aren't any good music shops around me so im going to have to buy off the net! i have about 300 quid to spend.

I really like the look of the Ibanez EWB series but cant find reviews anywhere for it!

Please help me!

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Takamine - loud, well built and plays well!

3. doshinski

doshinski

Aug 24, 2007
    The only Takamine i can find is the EG512 and the cheapest I can find it for is £360 which I cant really afford right now, any other suggestions anybody!

4. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    If you can find used Tacoma Thunderchief.
    This pony does all the tricks you need.

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Wait 'til you've got £360! No kidding, you won't regret it and with a Tak you won't have a bass you'll be looking to replace after 6 weeks!

If you can find a Tacoma in your price range, jump at it! However, I don't think you'll find one for anything under £500.

6. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I find that electric/acoutic basses are something not to cheap out on. Unlike solidbody electric basses which can be had cheaply of deceant quality, AE basses just suck at lower price points. The suggestions above are smart ones. Stay with a higher quality one such as takamine. The only AE bass thats ever done much for me was the warwick alien, and thats way out of your price range.

7. doshinski

doshinski

Aug 24, 2007
    Is there some sort of unsaid agreement that Ibanez electro acoustics are crap or something? i dont understand why there isn't a single review for one anywhere on the net! looks like im gonna be saving for a takamine!

thanks for the help guys

8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They aren't great. They aren't loud either. IMO, the Takamine suggestion was solid. I have a 512c that is pretty good. Don't expect it to stand up to a guitar unplugged though.

9. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I am very pleased with my Dean Performer Plus electric/acoustic bass. Plays good, sounds good. Well below the price point you're looking at as well.

Edit: I just bought a second one of these off the gear for sale page today.... !

10. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    It's not an acoustic, but it can sound a lot like an upright:

check out the Godin A4 (or look for an older Acoustibass like I have).

Loud enough to practice unplugged; sounds great plugged in.

11. has anyone played the takamine b/tb-10 basses? whats the radius on it? it has an endpin, like a DB, so i was wondering if it could be played arco like a DB or if its just a style thing...
    ~gR~

12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I second the rec for a Tacoma Thunderchief. It's the loudest one I could find, and it does OK with one or two acoustic guitars as long as they are not pounding.

13. I concur with Fresnorich. I have a Godin A5 fretless and it's plenty loud enough to play unplugged.... As long as you're not in a train station.

14. doshinski

doshinski

Aug 24, 2007
    well i mainly play solo so im not too worried about being able to be heard over guitars, is the takamine as big as it looks on pictures? it looks like a beast!

15. bump

any input?
    ~gR~

16. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Takamine also makes two lower priced models as well. The ES50, and ES 100. The ES50 got bad reviews on Harmony Central, while the ES100 got very good ones. I have a defretted EG512 with the action being roughly 3/8" at the octave. It can be heard with two finger picking guitars and soft vocals around a fire.

I don't knpw how to determine the radius, but the fingerboard is highly arched compaired to a normal BG. I also just took out an old cello bow and the A and D strings are actually bowable, speaking to the arch of the bridge and FB, not the ability to dig in a get a good tone.The E/G strings are not. The design of the B10 with its long endpin is to give the player the option of taking on an URB playing stance, and the arched FB/bridge are designed to emulate an URB

17. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Yeah I have a TB10, it's very nice. I'd guess the radius is about 3.5 inches about like an upright. You get used to it pretty quickly. It takes longer to get used to having no position indicators. It's made to be played sitting or like an upright. There are no strap buttons. It has a built-in tuner and tube preamp. Sounds awesome.

I've never played mine acro because I have two uprights for that. But I should try it some day.

18. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr

Aug 18, 2007
    Indiana
    I've played several of the fender BG electric/acoustics and thought they were pretty excellent. The BG-32 is really nice, but $499 street price. You can probably snag one on ebay for around $300.

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've owned both a Godin A4 and a Tacoma. The Tacoma sounded much better unplugged, but still not particularly loud. You won't be able to play with more than one acoustic guitar and still be heard. The Godin sounded better plugged in, with none of the feedback issues that plague ABGs. The Godin was also a lot more comfortable to play, with a body that resembled a Jazz bass more than an ABG.

I'd buy a Godin again, but the Tacoma, while a fun "couch potato" or practice bass, was less useful in any kind of gigging situation, IMO.

Look into a Godin A4 or A5. Great value for the money, and a wonderful warm, woody tone.

20. thanks for the info. now the harder question. where can i find one?! i think this is the first time i havnt seen a bass on ebay.
    ~gR~