Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What ELSE are you making? (other than instruments)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Heavy Cream, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Heavy Cream

Heavy Cream

Apr 8, 2005
    Describe it or better yet post pics. I'm sad to say I don't have any projects right now.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I make walking canes and give them away to people that need them. I have only done 5 but the look on the peoples faces is great :D

3. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm going to clean up and oil an old beat up chessboard. It will be the first woodworking I've done outside of tuning my cheap basses.

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'm building a bass cabinet right now. I'm using a 12" JBL speaker and a 6.5" B&C Midrange. Though not cheap, this cab will be light, loud, and small with a very even frequency response. Hopefully I'll have a full pictorial put up before too long

5. I just completed two neon pieces for one of the members of my department at work. I also make a pretty nice wood peg winder. Then of course, there's the knobs. I've also got an ash poker chip rack in the works for my son.

Other than the artistic type stuff, I'm working on my design for a downdraft paint booth, a downdraft sanding table, a body radiusing jig, and a reworking of my gearbox trussrod adjuster.

6. Bowen

Bowen

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland OR
    My current construction projects are:
    2 guitars, a 4 string bass, a les paul style mandolin, a small myrtlewood table, and pickups for all if the instruments.

I just finished (this month) a pickup winder,18 jewelry boxes for xmas presents, and a birch bookcase.

Being unemployed has it up sides

Attached Files:

7. a really big mess working on basses

8. Heavy Cream

Heavy Cream

Apr 8, 2005
    BUMPA!

9. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    only basses as of yet, but once I get a lathe, I'd like to make some Wenge drumsticks, I think that'd be sweet :D ....

10. Beer and wine.

...and I'm thinking of carving a pipe this spring.

11. Music..

12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Mostly a lot of sawdust. I'd like to be able to do something with all the scrap I generate, but I don't think the world needs another pen maker.

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have mostly been trying to write and record my music since it is cold out.

once spring hits, i am hoping to get back outside and make some more sawdust. :)

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm going to build a mbira pretty soon (thumb piano)

15. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I'm putting together one of those violin kits from StewMac for my brother's girlfriend. The binding is pretty hard to bend into those tight curves... :help:

I've also made some rudimentary nunchucks, and some chopsticks.

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    My current projects... let's see...
    Aside from the Serenade, I'm working on a 212 cab, this band my friends put together and said I should be in, and if I had a mini-lathe i'd be making some knobs.

17. i don't actually work with alot of wood but i try to incorporate as much as i can in my everyday metal-working situation. As a welder/Fabricator i get to do a whole lot of stuff with metal.

I have plans on building an Aluminum 4 or 5 strings bass in the upcoming year. Still gotta figure out the temperature problem with metal that tends to brings instruments out of tune drastically.

"Why does metal have to dilates/retractà!!?$#@%#"

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Lowrider bicycle and working on my project car... Mmmm burning metal smells yummy.

Also looking to carve a pipe and a gear shifter/knob for the car :cool: