1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Ok, I do believe I saw a post somewhat similar to this earlier, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway... I'm curious as to what all else I need to finish the cabinet project I have going. My box is almost completed (full of 4x12s), and my speakers are on their way. Should be about 2 days until they arrive! But what else do I need to complete my project. I know I need:

A jack plate
    Casters
    Speaker wire
    1/4" input
    Dampening material
    Handles
    Rubber feet
    Speaker corners

What else? Am I missing anything for the wiring process? Can't think exactly...

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Some more odds and ends:

Typically you would want to use "tee" nuts and machine screws to load the speakers. Those can be gotten at a home improvement store. I used #10-32 with small washers for my 12" box.

I assume from the other threads that you ordered 2512's, which come with gaskets, but if not, you might need gaskets.

3. Grill, grill standoffs, carpet and adhesive.

4. Myth_103

I assume from the other threads that you ordered 2512's, which come with gaskets, but if not, you might need gaskets.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I ordered the 2512s.

And I know I need the cab covering (tolex or carpet) along with adhesives and stuff, but I'm a little more worried about internal components at the time.

Anyone have specific wire or screws or dampening material you've used before that worked well for you?

5. I use quilt batting (polly fill) from Wal-Mart for dampening. Double it over and staple it to each wall if you want to be real thorough. I don't get too wrapped up in dampening a ported box.

Any 16-18 ga speaker wire or home depot lamp cable will do. I use crimp on female spade connectors and heat shrink tube to make my wiring, but you could solder them on if you want.

Partsexpress.com sells 3/4" Philips screws that work well for speaker mounting and they are black. They also sell Allen head bolts and blind nuts/T-nuts. The choice there is yours.

I use 1/4" jacks because that's what's on the back of my amps, but I do prefer a quality jack like neutrik, and even those are like $0.89. Partsexpress sells these as well as assorted jack plates

6. Myth_103

Thanks, nograveconcern! Anyone else?

7. Speakon jacks, not 1/4"
    Bed liner paint, not carpet.

Seriously, do the job right.

8. Myth_103

I never really was a fan of the bedliner covering. Just not my thing. I'll probably go with tolex... even though I know it's very easily damaged. I just like the look a lot more. But who knows, by the time I get to that point, I may have changed my mind.

9. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Line X is not easily damaged, probably the most durable coating available, but you have to have someone apply it (very toxic).

I hear Tolex is not that easy to do.

www.partsexpress.com

I recommend going with Duratex Vs. Rat Fur

www.acrytech.com

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I went with Duratex. It's only available in gallons, but some TB'ers assured me that I can store the unused stuff indefinitely if I spritz some water on the top surface before closing the container. The Duratex went on easily and is a good looking finish.

11. subscribe

12. I don't like any of the one-part bed liners either. If it doesn't have a hardener it's just textured paint and it won't hold up to abuse any better than tolex would. I've tried hurculiner and duplicolor for various uses, but I haven't tried duratex. I do have line-x in the bed of my truck and it's a great bed liner. It's not cheap, nor is it do-it-yourself friendly. I don't see it as being easy to clean either. It's porous which traps dirt where as traditional coverings like carpet can be vacuumed or tolex can be cleaned with dish soap and water.

As for carpet vs tolex, I prefer to look of tolex as well, but it's 3x as expensive as carpet and very easy to tear. I went with a latex backed carpet (from partsexpress) on my most recent box(s). Much better than the car stereo shop stuff that I used to get, for what it's worth.