1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What else is there?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ron Now, May 5, 2006.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I've run into a stand still on my effect buyings. I've come up with almost my perfect board (a statement often said, but never ment) however here is my dilema. I have my board all set up but there are 2 pedals on there that I can live without and would like to replace them with something I would like better. (It's a Aphex Bass Xciter, and Peavey Chorus) there is nothing wrong with either of these effects, but I found I don't like chorus, and I would rather have something that dramatically altered my sound over something like the Xciter.

So here is my question... what else is there?
    I've got my perfect, distortion, OD, Fuzz, Wah, boost, and delay pedals on there (or at least for my needs they are perfect). The problem, I dont like auto-wah's/syths, chorus, flangers, or phasers.

I am just wondering if there is some other kind of pedal out there that I am forgetting about. (Reverb is cool, but too subtle for what I'm using it for, plus I can get the same effect out of my delay, Tremelo is cool as well, but it seems a little too one trick for me, Octavers are cool but I play down at F so it isn't all that useful).

Can someone remind me of some effects I forgot about, or do I just have to leave it alone and stick with a couple effects that I just don't use, so there isnt a blank space.

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Digitech Bass Whammy

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    You could get something whacky like a ring modulator.

4. get one of the moog moogerfoogers: murf, bass murf, ring modulator, envelope filter. you can do lots of stuff with those!

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    3 letters...e...h...x

combined with these 3 letters...p...o...g

or these 3 letters...h...o...g

thank me later

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Envelope filter.

Or...don't sweat it and just play.

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Don't really like envelope filters, I don't really do funky effects as I don't really do funk.

I would like a Whammy, but it wouldn't fit on my board.

I already have a POG but found that I liked a natural sound alot better than running the octaves.

And a ring mod would be cool, just do not know what the practicality of one would be. But sometimes effects are not supposed to be practicle...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Frostwave Sonic Alienator?
    Parametric notch filter?
    Atari joystick wired to some circuit-bent fx?
    A dry-signal muting switch for your delay, so only the echos are heard?
    Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junky?

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Compressor??

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    He said he wanted to replace his Aphex Punch Factory, so I guess he's decided against compressors.

I know you don't seem to like chorus, but you might want to try an EHX Small Clone before you give up on chorus completely.

Or, you can try this weird gizmo (It's not a pedal, though):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Picks?sku=110800

I haven't tried it. Most people seem to not like it. Why should that stop you? :D

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Gig FX chopper.

12. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I haven't tried but it has always seemed intresting, The Fulltone Choraflanger

13. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Mystic is right I don't do compressors, I perfer the natural dynamics I use in playing and a compressor would kill my style for the most part. (however its the Aphex Xctier not the punch factory I'd like to replace)

I'm digging the more random effects, thats what I was really looking for (just kinda tired of the same ones in different boxes) The search continues...

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    :eek: ...I...uh...I don't know why I said Punch Factory.

...I need more sleep! :bawl:

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I use a pitch shifter from time to time (on my multi-FX, dunno of any good pedals).

16. If you don't know what you want, don't try and want it.

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Maybe you don't need another effect? If I were you, I'd sell the Aphex and Peavey and use the cash to fund an EQ of some sort.

If you want a random effect, I'd look at what others have suggested and just buying one of them, sight unseen. This would give you some randomness, and since most suggest here have been boutique, you could sell it virtually at-cost if it isn't to your liking.

18. The Frequency Analyzer by EH is pretty good, If youcan get it to be in the key you want it makes chords and arpegios sound insane. When out of key it is pretty atonal. I lke to run it into a chorus or flanger than into a doctor Q or Mooger Fooger lowpass. Very Minmoog esque sound

19. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    What about a Prunes and Custard or an MXR Blue Box? As far as I know, you can't get the effects that these pedals provide anywhere else. They both sound insane, too. Good luck.

20. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    can someone expound on the ring modulator idea?