Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What else to you play??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtDog, Jun 13, 2002.

What other instruments do you play?

Poll closed Jun 20, 2002.
  1. Guitar

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Drums (kit)

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Piano/Keys

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Woodwind (incl. Bagpipes)

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Brass

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. Other Percussion

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Other Strings

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  8. Misc Electronica

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Curious as to what other instruments other members play/dabble at (by major instrument families).

Personally, my other instruments are, in order of proficiency and frequency of play are:

1. Guitar (six string, acoustic and electric)
    2. Pipe Band Snare Drum (Scottish/Ontario sytle)

2. I play Guitar, electric and acoustic, also play the Mandolin.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

besides bass, i'm also a guitarist with jazz/blues background, and a acoustic dobro slide guy ala Jerry Douglas, Ry Cooder. i'm also a competent drummer. competent, not necessarily good. ;)

and recently, a friend turned me onto egyptian Oud playing. its fretless, but the nylon strings allow for good tone. tunings vary wildly, but i use D-C-G-A-C. it was hard at first cause of the microtones, and having to pull myself out of a 4/4 western time, but you get used to it. Also, you can tune it to E-A-D-G-C. so, if you're a high 5 guy, badabing badaboom, you too can play Oud!

4. Oud, huh? That sounds pretty cool. What does Egyptian music sound like? Is it kind of like Indian music?

Let's see. As far as my musical instrument experience is conserned, I played piano when I was a little kid, and I still fool around on it occasionaly, but I can't really play. I've been playing cello longer than I've been playing bass, and I've been playing guitar about for about as long as I've been playing bass, (although I've never taken it nearly as seriously, so I'm not that great).

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey jake,

well, most indian music is raga-ish where it swirls around a tonal center. most arabian/egyptian music that has a short common figure with verses and choruses, so its a bit more structured. but it tends to be angular with its sudden rises/drops in microtones vs. indian music's more flowy feel.

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Trombone, some very rudimentary keys, and some rhythm guitar (12-string acoustic, actually).

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Been playign SAxaphone for about 5 years. Much better at sax than bass, but I'm working on it. :D ;)

Travis.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Apart from playing bass I dabble with softsynths like Reaktor, Absynth, FM7, etc., and recording on the computer in general.
    I used to play flute and classical violin, but not anymore.

9. Well, I own keyboards, guitars, a saxaphone, and various odd little percussion instruments. In the past, I've also owned a mandolin and other things. But as to whether I actually play them... well..... no, I couldn't go that far.

:)

10. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    clarinet, saxophone, trombone, trumpet, cello, viola, upright bass

11. trombone for 7 years
    guitar for 3
    trumpet for 2
    and i mess around with my friends turntables (i wouldnt really call them an instrument but they make some cool sounds.)

12. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Piano,Guitar,a little Harmonica,and a little drums.

13. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    guitar
    bit of keyboards
    recorder
    drums
    i used to play the tenor horn many years ago, so i can blag my way on a trumpet (to some extent)

14. String bass
    guitar
    recorder
    trumpet trombone tuba
    drums
    clarinet

benton

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    1: Guitar
    2: Drums, (I try!!!) ;) I can keep a beat good enough to record my original demo's
    3: Harmonica

16. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ

If you ever see/hear Cut Chemist, DJ Logic, or DJ shadow do their thing, you might change your mind about turntables not being an instrument. Those guys are world-class musicians in their own right, and have never failed to impress me live or on record.

Sorry, off-topic (??)...

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Guitar and some Keyboards

I have a 1972 Ovation Balladeer and a 2000 American Standard Strat
    :D

18. I play tenor/alto/soprano saxophones and a litle flute and clarinet.

BTW, shouldn't this be in Miscellaneous?

19. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I've played drums...for about 3 years now.....

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Guitar (6-string acoustic and electric)
    Mandolin
    Keyboards
    Bodhrán
    Cajun accordion
    Didjeridoo
    Tin whistle
    Chanter (sort of a trainer for bagpipes)
    Mbira (a.k.a. kalimba, or thumb piano)

I'm sort of a danger to myself at a NAMM show because I tend to suffer more from IAS than GAS. ;) My home is truly a "place for my stuff," as George Carlin would put it.