What enveloppe filter / Bass synth ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There has been a lot of discussion about this lately.

I don't like the Electro Harmonix.

I've narrowed it to either the Akai Deep Impact or the Digitech Bass Synth.

I've tried the Digitech and been very impressed, like everybody else apparently.

The Akai I've played a few years ago and found really a** kicking at the time. My memory may fail on me though.

Programs are a nice feature, but is it worth the price difference ?

Has anyone A/Bed the 2 boxes ?
  2. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I haven't played the Akai but I have sound samples and it sounds better than the Digitech to me.The Akai also has true bypass which is a big plus.The Digitech does color the tone a bit when bypassed.No drop in volume,but just seemed to take some sweetness out of my tone.IMO the true bypass plus the ability to have nine presets make the Akai worth the extra cash.The Digitech is a great pedal for the money though.I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend .
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've not had the pleasure of trying the Digitech but the Akai really funks. If only all my pedals were this good and easy to use (i.e. presets and true bypass as well sounding great).

4. Jazz Ad

AKAI pedals are expensive, but they really are worth it.
    The sound is really clean and they are perfectly reliable.
    I'm a happy Unibass user.
  5. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Look through the archives at mad subwoofer's posts. I think he is the resident envelope filter expert, he prefers analog sound though.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

At the risk of sounding like the all-too-familiar "I have one, therefore, it's the best and everyone else should want one to --- I have to give it up for my Akai Deep Impact.

I used to use a Digitech BP-8, (I know, not what you're talking about). The quality of the Akai's effects and the construction of the unit was simply in a different league than my Digitech and those I saw at stores.

The Akai's 4 oscillators really allow for great sonic options. It's true bypass, plus being analog, are hard to beat.

The Akai's sounds are more in the Moog family as opposed to the Mu-Tron.

Here's a sound sample link - http://www.akaipro.com/jp/global/download/dloadfs.html?pg=audio.html
  7. Handy Akai sound sample, thanks. I don't know what it is but the Akai has just never interested me. It just doesn't seem to stand out or be that distinctive or something. I own a fantatic bass synth that I am sure folks are sick of hearing me go on about. The Korg G5 is still the coolest and best sounding that I've heard. A filter or synth bass pedal has to really have something "special" or "unique" about it B4 I'll consider it. I may actually score the new Digitech? I like what I've heard, it's cheap and it seems to have a "vibe" which is what get's me going. Here are some sound bites by TB's Bassackwards; http://www.zebox.com/Wanderlust
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

good going! that link you posted has some of the best bass guitar synth patches that I've ever heard!

Akai Deep Impact is a great pedal.

I've been using an Ibanez SB-7. It's decent for under $80. If any one is interested, I can email you a clip (it's too large for to upload to this site, and I'm too lazy to find a host server).
  9. rickbass

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard the samples. All the sounds there are sounds I can easily get with mine.
    Some companies use samples that were recorded with studio bassists playing ungodly chops and the engineer doctors the sound too much as well.

I often used the Deep Impact just to add different nuances to my tone, so that it doesn't stand out like an obvious effect.
  10. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I agree with you on the Akai.I played with one at NAAM for a while and it just seems a little bland.I really wanted to like it because of the presets and true bypass but it just didn't grab my attention.I didn't care for the Unibass too much either.For some reason I like the Digitech better.I got mine for $75 out the door at GC.The Envelope Filter w/Sub-Octavee is worth the price of the pedal alone.Mabye someday when I have an extra $170 to drop i'll get the Akai and try it out in a real playing situation but for now i'll use the cheap Digitech.
  11. Jazz Ad

I ended buying a Line6 FM4.
    Pretty cool, even if synth sounds are a little hard to get in shape.
  12. how u can consider the digitech over the elctro harmonix is beyond me, but hey :)

i tried the digitech and boss synths, both tracked like a pile of turd (IMO). The Akai is great, as long as u can put up with not being able to programme any of the sounds, the the EH micro synth and Q-tron blows them all out the water.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Confused!? What do you mean, not being able to programme any of the sounds? You can adjust about 10 different parameters for each of the preset starting sounds, and store the resulting sound (whichever preset you started with) in any of the 9 storage spots. So, if I'm not mistaken, the Akai is great, fullstop.

14. sorry, i was getting my wires crossed about the akai, someone told me it was pretty limited (not tried it), obviously i was wrong. i really love the EH synth cos u can easily play with the settings live and do great huge sweeps etc.

with the boss synth, i found the sounds pretty unusable in a realistic setting, all warbling space noises instead of decent synth tones.

15. rickbass

You're a good man to clarify that, Si. I'm really impressed by mine.
    As "Bass Player" said - "well worth the good construction and awesome sounds." Check out their review - http://archive.bassplayer.com/z2001/0102/akai.shtml
  16. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I just got a Ibanez SB-7, AND I LOVE IT... Coolass phat tone, big fat analogue resonance...

17. mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    Australian made juicy funk. Great pedal that sweeps up or down with tremendous range. I also like the Line6 FM4 stomp.

18. I had an Agent 00Funk once. Juicy and wet to be sure but the sweep was not smooth, filtered down in "steps". This drove me nuts and I had to unload it. AMAZING sounds though!
    The Digitech is worth the price if for only it's sub bass settings. The octaver is much better than my old Boss OC-2 and is much "richer" than my EBS. A real score.
  19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as far as an envelope follower goes, i like the mooger fooger.
  20. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    In a way, Si-bob is right when they state that you can't program sounds in the Akai Deep Impact. Yes, you can tweak the parameters, but you are basically stuck with the 7 or however many sounds that are included. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just have to like the sounds, so make sure you try one out before buying.

I thought of another way of thinking about it: Although it can be thought of as a "bass synth", you aren't really getting a synthesizer, you are getting a pedal that triggers "bass synth" sounds.

Personally, I am much happier with my Moogerfooger MF-101 Lowpass Filter. I don't really use it as an envelope filter, I use an expression pedal to control the filter myself. It's an expensive unit, but extremely flexible, and I found it to be a much more creative tool.