What EV speakers were in the Mesa 1516's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 2, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, i'm thinking of putting an EV 15" into the 1516 I just bought, so im just wondering... what type of EV speaker did they use in them? I can only see two different ones on websites (One reaches 31hz, one goes right down to 20) would it be one of these, or would there have been a specific one for the mesa cabs? Also wondering the same for the 10"... The guy put an Eminence in there, i'll see what it sounds like, but i'll probably swap that out as well sooner or later.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 15 was the EVM-15L (no longer made)
    I assume the 10 was the EVM-10L but not sure
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, anyone know where I could get hold of one? Or would Mesa have anything similar to it? Or should I just go for one of their other 15's?
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They were special design 10s, which Mesa doesn't have any left of. They are different than the EVs made now. Same goes for the 15.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I doubt ANY 15 or 10 made by EV ever went down to 20Hz...

6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bump.. I just got the cab today... awesome sounding, though it would be nice if i could get a bit more full/deeper low end without using that punch.. The 15 seems to be the worst of the speakers in there, so i'm thinking of changing it anyway... what'd be a good replacement?