Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What ever happened to all of those TBers who ordered DP Customs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Feb 2, 2002.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    At one point on this forum, all I saw for months were threads about DP Custom this, DP Custom that, and "Take a look at my specs for a DP Custom". I do know that some of the people who ordered basses (some from this forum) were uphappy, because they realized that just because a bass LOOKS neat, it doesn't necesarily mean that it FUNCTIONS properly as an instrument. I understand that DP will build 'whatever the customer wants', and I think that a lot of people learned a hard lesson that what they wanted wasn't always the best for them. Anyway, I don't want to recreate my old thread about the benefits and pitfalls of custom basses, I was just curious as to whether anyone still has one on order, and if anyone from TB has received a DP Custom that they haven't posted in the bass forum yet.

2. Mine is still under construction.

You can see the progress on the photoalbum below in my sig...

Jeff

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    How much longer, Jeff?

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Jeff - that looks awesome !!!

Any ideas when you'll get to play it ?

5. Soon. Dave is putting the final touches on her. It's been great working with him. I'm not sure he'll ever want to work with buckeye burl again! ;)

Jeff

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It takes a while to get those things built, especially w/ people besides TBers ordering. And besides, there are always deals to get locally.

I myself fully intend to have a DP 4 one of these days, but right now (like many I suspect), my priorities have changed a bit, leaving the DP a bit farther back on the burner. A wireless unit, another Cab, then a rack case for my head, an effects unit, ect.
    So I think there are a lot of people who still want/fully intend to get them, but they just have to come to a time when they can use the money, guilt free.

7. just 10 minutes ago I looked at the first pics of my DP in progress. I'm so stoked, man I can't wait untill it's done. I ordered it in November.

here's the specs:
    5 string
    35" scale
    no inlays (side markers only)
    black schaller M4 tuners
    black schaller wide spaced bridge
    dunlop straplocks
    bartolini quad coil pickups
    neck pup # 1 config.
    bridge pup # 6 config.
    2 band EQ preamp
    5 piece neck (maple/thin walnut/maple/ thin walnut/maple)
    dual carbon fiber reiforcement
    fretboard wood choosen by Dave P
    standard body, full zebrawood top over ash
    standard headstock
    zebrawood overlay on headstock
    tung oil finish

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as far as i know, one person was dissatisfied with his bass because of problems with the bass. one other person was dissatisfied because of problems with their own design. everyone else that i remember hearing comments from were very happy with the finished product.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Like Jeff's, mine has experienced one delay after another, and has been in the works for 7 months and counting. However, I told Dave from the get- go that whenever quality and time conflict in building mine, to always forget about time and focus on quality.

Right now, Dave is figuring out the programming for someone's laser router he is using for my inlay work.

To his credit, he is using test boards until the programming is el perfecto.

Here is where it stood a little over a month ago when I last got some pictures (the photo album Jeff Rader was kind enough to create for me) - http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292399439&idx=0