1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What ever happened to Pedulla?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpectorBass308, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I cant remember the last time I saw any posts about Pedulla basses. Maybe I just have a short memory. Anybody got a Pedulla? How do they sound? Got pics?

2. i LOVE pedullas!
    my bass teacher has a 5 string pedulla and i love playing the thing.

I agree, I don't hear about them too much on here :|

3. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I think they flamed out like many things do around here. Sometimes you will see 3-5 threads about valenti. Sometimes none for days.
    There are some around here. I did a quick search and there have been recent posts.

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I think the reason we don't here more about Pedulla is because it's been a number of years since a new model has been introduced to draw attention back to the brand. When the Raptures came out, they were all over the map because it was a new instrument from a premium builder at a lower cost that the Buzz's and Thunderbolts. But without the outsourced/Japanese production lines (ie Lakland Skyline, Sadowsky Metro, MTD Z/Saratoga) and without doing much in the way of new, more radical design work (ie Dingwall, Nordstrand, Jerzy Drozd, attention in the instruments will likely remain fairly limited.

Lonnybass

5. + good post i was wondering the same thing until now.. thanks for the post

6. very good points.

7. i am in serious need of a pentabuzz
    best fretless ever IMO
    i just dont have the thousands to drop

8. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    If anyone is looking for a Pentabuzz, the GC in Fairfax, VA has a brand new one for $1900.

9. russianspy

russianspy

Oct 20, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Or a hexabuzz in my case.

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Some of the greatest basses in the world though...if I remember correctly, Mike Pedulla had been offered a chance to do a down-market offshore production line but declined the opportunity so he could remain in full control of production quality and assembly. Plus I would imagine the deal with GC keeps his already small shop pretty busy. But yes, as a Pedulla endorser I'd love to get my hands on some new designs!

Lonnybass

11. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    We're all too busy playing our Pedullas to post!

:bassist:

Matt R likes this.
  12. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Wow, thats pretty rare. Good for him though. To be honest, none of the Pedullas really did it for me except the Rapture. I am going to own one one of these days, just waiting for one to pop up at a price I can afford. That bass is just amazing.

13. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have a 2002 Thunderbolt and a 2004 Buzz, both special ordered. They are as good as it gets. I live about an hour from Mike's shop and have been there a couple of times. He is a class act and still builds some of the best basses on the planet-one at a time! :bassist:

Cheers,
    Kevin

14. I bought a used Pedulla Thunderbass last year. I had always wanted one, so, after seeing a used one in amazing condition at a local music store, I decided to take the plunge. It's an amazing bass - I could not be happier. The thing oozes quality, plays like a dream, and sounds amazing.

Pedulla does have a fairly low profile with new instruments. I noticed a few Thunderbasses being sold at Musiciansfriend (or was it Guitar Center online?) last month. $4600. Ouch. Not a great deal when used ones are easily under $2000 and sometimes closer to $1000....

15. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    GC in Cleveland is blowing out all of their Pedullas. Too bad their clearance price is still terrible. Pedullas are extremely overpriced, IMO. I've played many and not a single one felt like it was worth the price. There's a Rapture J/J and a Pentabuzz fretless, both with Bartolinis. They have not been set up at the factory (its plainly obvious as the bridge saddles are all in default position and the action is terrible) and they play terribly, and sound only "ok". For a 3000$ instrument, a factory setup should be part of the ticket.

Maybe they're fakes? Some people swear by them, but I can't find one I'd want to buy even if I had the money. You can do a LOT better for a lot less.

16. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    I've always been under the impression that Mike and Christin are more interested in the "New England craftsman" element of their day to day life versus the more entrepreneurial, business strategy and YoY growth aspect of the shop. At one point I believe they had a larger operation and it was headed more towards "feeling" like a business, but I think Mike wanted to get back to working with his hands. I don't blame him!

Related to basses specifically, my main bass for the past 5 years has been a gorgeous AAA cherryburst Thunderbolt 5 string (pictured on the Pedulla T'bolt page). A beautiful bass, a stunning finish, and that Thunderguts switch just KILLS in a crowded mix. In other settings it can be a bit too aggressive, so turn it off and it's instant vintage mellow warmth. A lovely bass that plays and balances beautifully.

Me and my #1 girl...
    612197211_l.

Lonnybass

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    They are not very popular these days. . . Maybe because there haven't captured current famous players as endorsees?

I think they are fabulous. Just this weekend I played at a festival with several bands and one of the bass players had a Thunderbass - I thought it sounded amazing.

And there is that Frank Gambale video with Ric Fierabracci playing two Pedullas, and they sound incredible to me. Same with all Mark Egan recordings.

I just never got to find one (lefty) without having to special-order. They are fine basses. But I also agree that some of the examples found at GC need a setup badly (like every other instrument at GC), and they move slowly from the racks (because they are not cheap).

This is sick!

With Gambale Forward to around 5:00

18. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Please don't let what you see at Guitar Denter shape your impression of Pedullas! ALL of them come from the factory with an impeccable setup. Don't forget, what you are seeing on the wall is typically one of the most expensive instruments in that entire store - a prime target for every 15 year old kid who wants to come in and tinker and basically beat the hell out of those instruments. Any instrument that goes through that kind of abuse on a daily basis is going to suffer...strings go dead, necks go out of alignment, fret ends shift, batteries start to die.

Also, I'd encourage you to take a look at the Pedulla Website as they have put up the following notice to potential customers...

It is of the utmost concern to us at Pedulla, that all our basses are in the best condition from the great looks of the bass to the perfect playability of the bass. At times, while our basses are on a retailer's showroom floor, a Pedulla bass can show signs of general wear and tear. It is of additional great concern to us if Pedulla basses are not well taken care of because some retailers don't always keep instruments properly adjusted and sometimes neglect to make sure that they are clean or that they still have good strings installed.

It is difficult and quite expensive to send out a Pedulla representative to every retailer that sells Pedulla basses to check on the condition of the basses on a regular basis, so this is how you can help us. If you find a new Pedulla bass at a dealer's store and are anything less than incredibly impressed with it's playability or the way it looks, we ask you to please let us know as quickly as you can. We will gladly follow up with the dealer and take care of it promptly.

We take great pride in our basses and we make sure that each bass is perfect when we ship it. Unfortuantely, however, we have no control over it's care once it leaves us.

It's like buying a new car versus a used one. Is the GM factory's fault that a dealer's loaner car got 50,000 miles with no oil changes? No. The same applies here.

Lonnybass

19. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    They gained a bit of popularity IMO when Chris Wolstenholme from Muse started playing them. He doesn't as much now, but he still does use his Rapture with the Humbucker.

Lonny, what is your impression of said Rapture bass? I'm kinda gasing for one.

20. Pedulla is alive and well here in my crib. :D

When I was gigging, compliments such as these were too numerous to mention:

"What an awesome sounding bass!!"

"That thing is gorgeous!!"

"Don't you ever sell that one!"

The kicker is this: (maybe it is the way I set up the action, or the way I e.q.) It is not 'forgiving'. In other words, whenever someone would 'sit in' with my band and play my Pedulla, I'd warn them... if you play hard or sloppy, it is not forgiving. Any flaw in technique will be heard. Don't know if it's the combination of woods, Barts, or just my personal setup and e.q.