1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What exactly are the benefits of all these fancy bridges?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aaronious, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Exactly what the title says.
    I have a P bass that I love. I want to put a black bridge on it purely for aesthetics. I've heard a million stories about what high mass, brass, added sustain, string balance, blah blah blah.

But I want the truth damnit! Not conjecture and opinions. Real science behind why I should or shouldn't upgrade my baby with anything other than a cheap black bridge that I already have for one of my basses that I paid $13 for, that works fine.

2. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    Badass bridges make you cooler. That is fact

3. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    I put a Babicz FCH bridge on every Fender-ish bass I own. String action adjustment is *very* precise and simple, and when it's all set up and intonated, the set screws get tightened and that sucker won't have to be adjusted again unless I change string gauges. It's a beautiful piece of engineering.

aaronious and cdef like this.
  4. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    So bridge manufacturers can drive Porsches!

5. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Every one of my basses, except my Hofner re-issue Cavern, has a "fancy" bridge. They add to sustain, adjustability, intonation, etc.

Tari and JustForSport like this.
  6. Why would an aftermarket bridge intonate better than a standard bridge?

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you want science then conduct an experiment. All you'll get here is conjecture and opinions, unless someone conducted a viable experiment involving large sample sizes and controls.

There are some obvious benefits like easier string changes and more adjustability. That's all I've discovered in my unscienific bridge experimentation.

8. aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    That's a very good point. Wonder if myth busters would be interested in this. THEN WE'D ALL KNOW!!

9. aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    See! That's what I'm looking for. Of ask the ones I've researched, those are the only ones that seem half worth the hype.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    If it works fine, I wouldn't spend a lot on that bass...

StayLow likes this.
  11. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think aesthetics and stability both come into play. I've had less expensive bridges that didn't seem to hold intonation very well, but I've been perfectly happy with Babicz FCH, BadAss II, Fender High Mass, Fender GL, etc. I've also had less expensive bridges where the saddles like to jump out of their tracks when played aggressively.

Will a new bridge make magic sounds? Not hardly. But every bridge will bring its own character to the party.

If it looks good and solid, and holds intonation well, then it's a good bridge.

aaronious, ICM and gebass6 like this.
  12. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    And I thought they just helped counter neck dive.

Anyway, Mass is all in the Fingers!

rufus.K and Qlanq like this.
  13. Apparently eating carrots will improve the density of your fingertips.

Daz JP and hintz like this.
  14. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    They also help you hold down the root notes :D

Get it? Lolalallzllzlzlzl (I crawl under rock now)

tonym, wintremute, hintz and 5 others like this.
  15. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Smart engineering.

Intonation on the Babicz is faster and easier than any other bridge I've used. Once a string is finished, which is very easy, you lock it down with a set screw. No more re-intonating your instrument after every string change (though you should still check it to be sure).

As far as string action, each string on the Babicz sits on a rotating cam, adjustable by one screw. Turn the screw the tiniest fraction of a centimeter and the cam smoothly rotates up or down. It's much easier to make micro-adjustments. The cam stays exactly where you want it while setting it up. And once you're done, you lock down the set screw and that bridge saddle is fixed in place.

I change my strings every three weeks or so. I barely have to touch that bridge at all.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Because there isn't a "Fender style bent sheet metal" bridge for a seven string bass.
    If there is it isn't gold plated.
    This is. Snapshot_20151029_2.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Not likely since Mythbusters is history now.

aaronious likes this.
  18. If you like the looks of the stock bridge and it holds the strings in place and it can be adjusted it should be just fine. Many people over the last fifty plus years have managed with the stock bridge's on their instruments and made tons of great music.

GrooverMcTube, StayLow and aaronious like this.
  19. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Quick string changes and added mass are the biggest reasons to ditch the stock Fender style bridges.

JustForSport and gebass6 like this.
  20. aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Damnit! What's the cheap A&E knockoff of them then? Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.