Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What exactly are they trying to sell?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bushfire, Jan 1, 2006.

1. http://www.key-cycle.co.nz/

As far as I can tell, it's just the circle of fifth, plus some other information, plus some clockhands = $50? am I missing something here?

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    It only takes a few suckers, and his 'invention' is paid for, plus profit. The only reason it's legal, is because it's an actual product (a couple of leaflets and a cardboard wheel) being sold. Happens all the time and it's unfortunate.

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I like it ... they take something simple, make it complex, and charge you for it. It's an ass-trological chart for chords (with the same helping of voodoo)

4. Ah, I see; I thought that was the case. (It wasn't as if I was gonna buy it! I'm not that stupid! :D)

5. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    If you think it's worth it, then buy it.

Most circle of fifths I've seen are the reverse of what this clock shows. In other words, sharps usually go clockwise and flats counter-clockwise (maybe it's because they are in the land of the down-under).

Since the bass is tuned in 5ths, I find I can remember the circle of fifths by visualizing the strings on an 8-string extended range bass (if such an actual instrument and tuning exist).

Key signatures for sharps:

1st string: C (no sharps)
    2nd string: G (1 sharp)
    3rd string: D (2 sharps)
    4th string: A (3 sharps)
    5th string: E (4 sharps)
    6th string: B (5 sharps)
    7th string: F# (6 sharps)
    8th string: C# (7 sharps)

Key signatures for flats: First, drop (flat) all the strings 1/2 note and reverse the order.

1st string: Cb (7 flats)
    2nd string: Gb (6 flats)
    3rd string: Db (5 flats)
    4th string: Ab (4 flats)
    5th string: Eb (3 flats)
    6th string: Bb (2 flats)
    7th string: F (1 flat)
    8th string: C (no flats)

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I have a watch like that. A guy in Japan invented it, came to our show, and gave me one.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The address makes me want to throw up.

KEY-CYCLE CO. NZ. R.D. 9, TE PUKE, NEW ZEALAND

8. te puk-e, it's pronounced te puk-e! :D