1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What exactly do I have here - Fender 70s style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Burwabit, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I took this in trade and I can't pinpoint exactly what it is and what it's worth.
    Neck appears to be Fender Classic 70s
    Is body original/match or something else? Value?

Pickguard appears to be an add on (truss notch) but fits great.
    One thing is for sure... it's light at 8lb 7oz. Plays great after a setup. Aguilar single coil pickup upgrade sound muy bueno.

Thanks in advance
    Pics...

(and what the h3!! is FPS - Google failed me)

70a.JPG 70d.JPG 70e.JPG 70n.JPG 70neckheel.JPG 70b.JPG

nixdad, Bajo Clarkko and meatwad like this.
  2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    60's pup spacing on the body, so not original to the 70's neck ... body has characteristics of MIM FSR Jazz, but does not appear to be ash ... at least not typical of the graining displayed on most of the many GC FSR's I have seen and owned ...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    okcrum likes this.
  3. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I was told it's an ash body and appears to be.

FronTowardEnemy and jallenbass like this.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The CNC hole on the body & the MX on the neck make me think it's a newer MIM JB of some age. Body 'looks' like ash. Not sure though. I am not good on the specs of most of these.

5. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The CNC hole under the pg indicates modern manufacture, the Fender oval seal is something newer too. May be a nice parts bass. My 2010 Precision V has one,

7. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    If I'm reading right, the date in the neck is Nov 28, 2011. Hard to tell in the pic but I think that's the year.

Gaolee likes this.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    You have the bass in hand, so definitely if you think it is ash, then that would remove any doubt I have it is a MIM Standard ash body from an FSR (Special Edition label to back of headstock) put out by Fender for GC affiliates, attached to a MIM Classic Series 70's Jazz neck ... pocket markings indicitive of Fender ...

9. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Agree there. Makes it a mismatch. Plus I can't find any pics of the 70s Classic Jazz with a natural body.

Yes, all evidence is pointing that way. FSR MIM body with the Aggie pickup upgrade. What appears to be an American Standard pickguard fits perfectly. Does that sound correct for FSR?

10. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I may buy a tort guard for it. Truss notch is just wrong since it has the bullet adjust at the top.

waynobass likes this.
  11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    producción especial de Fender, or something similar?

Burwabit likes this.
  12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Burwabit likes this.
  13. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Lia_G likes this.
  14. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Welcome. Good luck!

15. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Ordered a white OEM guard for it for the 75 reissue look (will sell the American Standard guard plus a black roadword or 74 guard it came with that doesn't fit). I might also order a black guard that fits for the 74 reissue look. Fun to have multiple options.

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... that would be because the Classic Series 70's was never issued in a natural finish ;)

... the Guitar Center (and affiliates) nat ash FSR uses the exact same components as the MIM Standard (post 2001 1/2), other than body wood and color, so yes, the pickguard would be a direct fit between that and an American Series, Special, Hwy 1 and One, and 'New' American Standards, and anything else that would be a direct fit for these ...

The Guitar Center nat ash FSR was first introduced in 2003, and for the first couple years it came with a white pickguard stock, I had both a P and a J from that run ... about two years into its offering ('05/6), they began coming stock with a tort guard ... the only real difference besides body wood and color, is that the change made to the MIM Standards in '08 with the additional neck/headstock tinting, along with the logo change and moving the serial # to the back of the headstock never carried over to the FSR's, as they still retained the pre '08 logo style and placement ...

Burwabit likes this.
  17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... with over 12 years of production for this model, I am sure that pocket markings have changed and had a few variations over the years ... ;)

FWIW, the graining on this body is MUCH more typical of what you would find for this model compared to what is in the OP ...

18. Wow that is a sick bass. Congrats!

Burwabit likes this.
  19. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Looks great! love the bound and blocked neck. I'd play the hell out of it and wouldn't look back.

Burwabit likes this.
  20. Burwabit

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    thanks y'all