Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What exactly do these things do?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Apr 7, 2003.

1. I'm always looking for little boxes to that can improve tone, but, even after going to their site I must admit I'm still in the dark. How do they make your gear sound better? I saw this on page 16 of April's Bass Player mag.

http://www.bbesound.com/products/maxim/482i.asp

Thanks.

Mike

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    There's a little man inside that plays exactly what you play except he has better gear than you do so it sounds better:D :D
    Seriously, I only have a vague idea how sonic maximizers work, I think it's a subtle application of chorus/octave/phase/filters to make you sound "bigger"... That's how I think Aphex does it, I don't know about BBE.

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I don't really know about the aphex, but for BBE:
    High frequencies naturally travel faster than low, so they reach you first. This can result in a bit of phase cancellation, and thus muddiness. The BBE slightly delays them at the right ratio, so that things are tighter. They may do other things, but that's the main thing... and it rocks. They also have a boost/cut low eq thing and a transparency (?dunno name) control that adds some sparkle.

I really like my BBE... and as far as what I've heard the Aphex does more "creating" to help the sound. I would think this wouldn't be as good... but I hear good things about them too.

Hope that helped...

4. At the risk of sounding geeky:

Last time I checked, sound travels at a speed of 345 m/s regardless of frequency.

What you mean is, (most) (ported) loudspeaker cabinets have the tendency to delay the low frequencies. This is called group delay (there's an active thread about this subject). This can be counteracted by delaying the high frequencies to match. This is part of what the BBE sonic maximiser does. Old trick. The end result is: all your sound is delayed about 1 or 2/100ths of a second, instead of just the low bass range.

5. Now I'm glad I did physics.

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Actually, you're right... and I hadn't really considdered that. I knew some of it, and I knew all of the physics background to sound travelling, but I was just regurgitating info from BBE and such... so you are more correct.