What exactly does the Bassballs pedal do?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman1185, Nov 6, 2001.

1. I've heard good stuff about it, but I don't kow what it is. I know that there's a distortion mode, and that's about it.
  2. It's a touch-wah..

Basicly what it does is.. the harder you strike your string, the more wah it does.

But the Bassballs has a very distinctive wah.. and you can add a little distortion to the effect for more coolness

it's as simple as that :)
  3. Guy

Apr 26, 2001
    Washington, DC
    The distortion is part of the pedal - you don't need to add a second distortion pedal. There's also a sensitivity control that controls how hard you have to strike the string to get the wah.
  4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Technically it's a "dynamic dual envelope filter," but describing it isn't as helpful as hearing it. So go to musictoyz.com, click on guitar pedals, click on new pedals and click on the brand (Electro-Harmonix). Scroll down until you find Bassballs and listen--you'll find two guitar and two bass real audio clips, one with and the other without distortion. That site is a great one for effects. The prices and service are superb and they offer a lot of read audio clips for a variety of pedals from most if not all of the major manufacturers (Boss, DOD, Electro-Harmonix, Akai, EBS--the list goes on and on).

5. So you can use it as just distortion, without the wah? If so, I think I'll get it. I was going to get a wah pedal and a distortion pedal anyway, so if I can get both, and they're good...:)
  6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Sorry, bassman, the distortion switch just adds distortion to the base effect, the envelope filter. You can't get distortion alone.
  7. Dang. Oh well, I'll probably get the Bassballs and a separate overdrive pedal.