1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What exactly is a Dead Spot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 57pbass, Aug 11, 2007.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

How do you identify etc....

2. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Play amplified slowly along the G string letting each note sustain as long as it can. If there's a deadspot you'll know it.

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You'll know it if you have one.

On the G string, between the 3rd and 7th fret, on a bolt neck is where they are most likely to show up.

One note on the neck won't ring out like the rest. It will decay and die (no susatain) very quickly.

The string is resonating at a similar or same frequency as the wood on the neck, and the note gets sucked up, or kind of disapears. A fat finger, or sometimes a different bridge will help to move this spot off the neck. Sometimes a different brand or guage of strings can help too.

4. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    In wind playing, it happens in small, square rooms. (For me, at least.) I think it has something to do with the sound waves not bouncing well. It gets really quiet when you point your bell at a certain spot. Maybe it has to do with the room, instead?

5. Pierrot

Pierrot

Jul 19, 2007
    Northern Sweden
    Wootsticks, the soundwaves are reflected perfeclty fine, but there are one or more pairs of) parallell surfaces, usually the walls, the distance between which is an odd multiple of the fundamental's wavelenght. While this might happen for bass as well as any other instrument, it doesn't affect the sustain.

6. when you go out on a weekend and go to a club where nothing is happening, that's a "dead spot" :bag:

in terms of bass, however, "dead spot" is usually referred to a note or two on a string where they just don't ring out as well or sustain as well...this is usually caused by cancelling vibrations from the bass and neck itsself...

it can be corrected somewhat by getting the neck joint good and tight and making sure that there is sufficient tension on the trussrod...but usually basses that exhibit dead spots, the dead spots can't be completely eliminated and are just dealt with...

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Does it have to be the G string?

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It doesn't have to be, but typically it is. The only dead spots I've had have been on the G string.

9. LOL... I had this bass that actually had no dead spots... but alive spots... I mean, the whole bass was so bad that there were just some notes that were worth the try... LOL