Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what exactly is 'math metal'?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by peteroberts, Mar 1, 2005.

1. I've heard the term before, but dont know what it's about. Can someone give me some examples?

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm confused about it too... I've heard that Dillenger Escape Plan is math metal, as well as Everytime I Die.

Graeme

3. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Maybe it's metal for the purpose of education?

Sorry. Cheesy, but I couldn't resist.

4. I've only heard Tool classified as "mathcore."

Dunno any others, though...

5. as far as i can tell, its when the guitar, bass and drum play in different time signatures, like the guitar is in 3/4 the bass is in 18/2 and the bass drum is 4/4, etc and it all somehow is supposed to fit...its too smart for me!

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    complicated time sigs and intense changes. More technically profecient metal.

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    My buddy's old band called themselves a "mathcore" band. They were a hardcore punk band named "Isolate the Radical". :rolleyes:

8. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    :eek: Holy crap. That is too funny.

9. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Aha.. I love hearing of fellow math geeks. :p

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    More or less.

11. sargentpilcher

sargentpilcher

Feb 21, 2005
    My brother was in a math rock band and this is how he described it to me. "It's when you count how many times you do everything. Play one part 4 times, then the next 5 for example." So I don't think it's because of complicated time signatures. Especially because I've never heard a dilinger escape plan time sig. that wasn't 4/4. But I could be wrong.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm not sure I've heard the term "math metal" before, but I have heard the term "mathletes."

13. Best I know, in a true math rock band, every song is based off of some kind of equation. If its true, doesn't sound like it would make good music.

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    math rock/math metal

is **** like cave in, dillenger is kind of mathy, but etid is defintely just tight girls pants wearing faggotry.

if you wanna hear some good ****.

cave in, beyond hypothermia. thats math metal.

or, anything that goes, chugga chugga wee wee, chuga wee wee, chugga chugga chugga wee, chugga, wee wee, chugga chugga, wee wee wee wee

15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    How can you have a math-metal thread without mentioning Meshuggah? They're the masters. Amazingly dextrous playing, intense polyrhythms, weird time signatures... bloody great. :D

Russ :bassist:

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's when a band gets together, but are collectively too stupid to play the same riff at the same time.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, and Ion Dissonance. End of discussion.

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I thought that was jazz? :confused:

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They're cousins.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think all genres need to be included. Iron Maiden is the best History Metal band of all time. And on the basis of songs like 46&2, Tool is Science metal. I consider some King Crimson stuff Arts & Crafts metal. :D