1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What exactly should I shield?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cola_klinks, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. cola_klinks


    May 29, 2005
    I have searched the forums on shielding. I have a GK 1001 RB II going into an Ampeg RB 410HLF. I recently refurbished by BC RIch Eagle and just got this rig...actually just got back into playing. I know that I should use copper tape and solder the grounding wire to it under the bridge. SHould I place it elsewhere? The pickups? Where exactly...anywhere on the tone and volume controls.

    When I turn the volume and tone the buzz increases until I reach full tone or volume. As with everyone else, the buzz dissipates when I place my hand on the strings. I hope I didn't overlook any answers in the forum...sorry if I did.
    Thanks guys.
  2. You don't need to use copper tape, you can also use conductive paint from any hardware shop. Don't use both, however.

    You shield the control cavity and the pickup cavities. Then ground the shielded cavity walls to the back of a pot with a wire and a small woodscrew.
  3. embellisher

    embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

    Did you search the Setup forum? That is where this belongs.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.