Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What extension cab with 1x12 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tragicmagic, May 2, 2002.

1. I've got a genz benz gbe 250c 1x12 combo. It's 250 watts with the just internal speaker, 330 watts if i add an 8 ohm extension cab (165 watts for internal speaker, 165 for the extension).

What extension speaker would be best for me, a 2x10, or a 1x15? I use a 4 string, dropped D, and a 5 string bass... both with passive humbuckers.

Trying to compete with a guitarist with a half stack... the 1x12 just doesn't push enough air by itself.

Thanks for your input..

2. Well, do you need more low-end or more mids? That will probably be the determining factor.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say just go with another 1x12. it'll be punchy with enough articulation. the 2x10 might not have enough lows for you, and the 1x15 might be too muddy.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i don't know why everyone thinks that the 210 doesn't put out enough low end.
    in fact the 210 goes lower that the 15. i played a eden 210 and it blew away my single 15. but now i have a 410. it is sepperated internaly to make 2 210's and it gets more bottom end than my 15.
    think about it. more speaker surface more air moving more bottom end

steve

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Steve,

Some 2-10s sound like they go lower but really don't. If you make a cab that emphasizes the frequencies around 80-160 Hz it will sound like it "goes lower" than another cab that is flatter there but actually goes deeper.

Some 2-10s do actually go super low (Acme is a good example) but some like the Peavey 210TX have a fat pillowy sound that sounds wicked fat but lacks in real low bass.

The fundamental is not that important, it's mostly pant flap and rumble when you get down below the A string. Otherwise, how could you hear the bass coming out of 4" speakers in your car or a boom box?

6. Just get the Genz Benz 112.Bass Player magazine liked them when they did a test of 112s a few months ago and it would match up with your amp pretty well.