1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHAT extra cab to add with the discontinued Genz Benz Contour 500 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henrynlouisville, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Hello,

I finally decided to start taking bass guitar lessons about a year and a half ago.
    I was given an entry level Ibanez kit two years ago...but took six months to go for it.
    I've already played in Guitar Center's Rock Show twice. Love playing bass!

Always liked The Police and Sting's sound back in the 70's & 80's...but didn't fall in love with bass until I started working for The Terrace Restaurant back in 1988. They played Sade's album over and over and over and over...and I simply fell in love with Paul Denman's sound. So, naturally I have a Stingray and a Sterling clone for practice.

When I started getting serious I simply found a good deal on a combo amp and bought it. Genz-Benz Contour CTR500 115T ($359) with Free Shipping. Now I know why it was a good deal...they were dissolved by their new owner.

So, my (then 8yr old) daughter started taking guitar lessons at the same time (and her friend on bass). Last week I took this unit to their talent show in a small auditorium that probably seats 1000 people. I was surprised that the bass sound from this unit didn't really carry to the balcony. It sounded loud on stage when I was standing next to it on setup.

So, my need is to add speakers. The easiest thing to do is to simply buy the CTR500-EXT210 add-on cabinet for more punch and air movement...however, Genz-Benz was killed off.

So, here is the question...what speakers can I add to this unit and not hurt it?
    The manual here states that I can add an 8 ohm extension cabinet like the one above...which cannot be found.

So, after surfing through many many talkbass articles, I have landed on Glockenklang. Everybody loves them on here, name sounds cool, and I like rare stuff.

So, would it sound "bad" to mix this 15" GBenz speaker with one or more Glock cabs?
    I guess I could actually buy TWO 2x10 16 ohm cabs...and that would be 8 ohm into the speakON port and be OK...right?

I could add one Double 2x12 at 8 ohm
    I could add two Duo 2x10 at 16 ohm each
    I could add one Quattro at 8 ohm...but much to heavy since I don't wan't light cabs or Neos.

What are my cab add options for this Genz-Benz Contour CTR500 ??

CTR500-115T Manual:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwifhP7RloLMAhVKSiYKHYR8BnkQFggdMAA&url=http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/ctr500_manual.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGbCBJFbKm1yMPSA0Qpf8df6vG5Vg&sig2=ZfyUic5m4sy0bObdUleLGQ

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    How about looking for another Contour 15 extension, or the Focus 115, 112 or 210. All of these have been designed specifically to work together. These show up on TB classifieds as well as Reverb.com, ebay and GC used section.

Other GB cabinets that will work well are the NeoX series, the tuning is close enough.

Since the other manufacturer's cabinets have not been tested, and were not designed with the GB's characteristics in mind, it would be a guess as to how well they work together.

3. Agedhorse, you have a point.
    The FCS-210T has the exact same specs as the Contour add-on cab (300w, 45-18k Hz, 97dB, 8ohm, 5K crossover)
    So, basically the exact same thing with a smaller cabinet. Shouldn't sound to much different.
    I was just thinking that 10s with this 15 would add punch and attack...but maybe there is some nuance, that I'm not aware of, to not mix/match.

I wonder if this amp could handle that focus 4x10 (FCS-410T) ?
    It's only 64 lbs. and wouldn't need it very often at all.

Genz Benz FCS410T FOCUS 4X10 Bass Cabinet

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, the Focus 410 would work just fine as well. It was only available as an 8 om cabinet, so a good match with the 115 (8 ohm also). The lower power handling of the 15 won't be an issue either (the power from the combo will be split 250 watts to each cabinet) and with the 15 on top the relative sensitivities are plenty close enough as well.

staurosjohn likes this.
  5. DONE
    I just bought that one from GC up in Southfield Michigan.
    Looks to be in near new looking condition.

I see that it used to sell for $600
    Genz Benz Focus Series FCS-410T 4x10 Bass Speaker Cabinet

So, he gave it to me for $330 + 6% tax + $34.61 shipping to Louisville.
    Total $386.49 is not bad at all.

This will totally max out this Contour 500 and it's all because of your incredible advice.
    You probably saved me a thousand dollars from being stupid.
    I LOVE talkbass !

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Have fun with it!

staurosjohn and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The mixed cabinet police will want a full report...

Icculus, arai and ezstep like this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    15 on top + power not too much for either cab + shared brand and "close enough" design + approval right from the agedhorse's mouth = "move along, nothing to see here".

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Wish there was an emoji for "tongue in cheek"...

walterw likes this.
  10. "It produces 300 watts into the 8 ohm combo configuration and 500 watts when used with an additional 8 ohm extension cabinet."

OK, so when driving two cabs with both Speak-ON connectors it's 2x250 = 500 Watts into 8 ohms
    Why does the manual say it drives 300 Watts into the single onboard 15" ?
    ...and if this is the case, can I disconnect that 15" and actually get 300 Watts to my new 4x10 cab by using a single cable pushing only one channel?

11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    300 watts into any single 8 ohm speaker, whether the internal one or an external one.
    Add a second 8 ohm speaker to the internal one, and the amp has a total of 500 watts driving them, combined.

12. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Here is what I use. Love everything GB
    20150321_110702.

Krebsy and Pocket4 like this.
  13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    because things are never perfect, so halving the impedance doesn't quite equal twice the power. and check it again, it should be 500w into 4 ohms.
    yep, not that it makes much difference. it'll be much louder and bigger with both sets of speakers going; more speakers makes a bigger difference than more watts.

pudgychef likes this.
  14. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    A big shout out to agedhorse and Jeff Genzler cause they are always ready to step in when GB questions come up.
    Thanks guys for being here for the minions of GB.
    Duke

moonshinegtrs and staurosjohn like this.
  15. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Without a doubt, find a discontinued 15" matching can.

16. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

He already found and bought a cab, a 4x10....

pudgychef likes this.
  17. If this helps things like agedhorse says, then why does 'theduke1' have his 15" on bottom?

18. OK, lets put that to the test.
    Please disclose the make/model of those two wedges in your photograph...that are not facing the camera.

19. I have never seen a 15" CTR500-EXT115 for sale...ever
    However, I did see a CTR500-EXT210 on ebay 1.5 yrs ago and they wanted $300 + $100 shipping from Tampa.
    I couldn't get myself to spend that on an extension...especially since I got my combo (with amp) for less money.

Hell, I bought that FCS-410T for $386.49 tonight. :)

20. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    @theduke1

never mind the amp, this is adorable!
    pick%20pic.

henrynlouisville likes this.