1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What factors play into account with bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Feb 16, 2008.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Well I see different cabs all the time but I'm talking about how two same configured cabs from different brands compare (ex: a 1x15 non ported cab without tweeters from two different brands, a 410 that is ported with tweeters from two different brands, etc.....).

If the two cabs have the same configurations but are from two different brands is the only difference that will make up the sound the speakers? Or are there other factors that make up what the cab will sound like?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    There could be a lot of differences. Two notable ones would be:

1. Tradeoff between how loud the speaker gets, and how well it can reproduce the lower frequencies.

2. Amount, or absence, of elevated response around 100 Hz.

Then there is that elusive factor: Quality.

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Cabinet internal volume and port tuning will also have huge effects. Case in point (based on my experience of the cabs, ymmv): Eden D112XLT and Genz Benz Neox112t. Both are single 12" cabs, but the Eden is much smaller and has an extremely prominent midrange hump. The Genz is larger and has much better low end, and more even response across the entire range.

Cheers