What features attracted you to your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexs0628, Feb 12, 2005.

1. alexs0628

Feb 8, 2005
    When you were shopping, or if you are shopping now, for a new bass guitar, what features in the make and sound of the instrument were you, or are you, looking for that indicates that the bass is a well-made instrument?
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Couple different questions there....

What features in the make and sound made me consider it? The fact that a bass could be set up to run stereo was intriguing to me. The idea that I could literally send the output of each pickup through different processing and amplification chains was a big deal. Fact is, I don't use it that much, but it was a purchase consideration.

What indicates that the bass is well made? By the time I ordered my bass, I had owned several used basses of the same company. Just the fit, assembly, and quality of materials used were good indicators of the build quality.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

For me it was the neck on the 5 string Sadowsky and then it was it's tone when i pluged it in and heard the fullness of its diverse tonal possibilitys.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Sterling: I really like the tone of Musicman basses. The middy, funky tone really gets to me and i love the slap tone. I liked the sterling over the stingray for the smaller body and different electronics. I also heard great things about EBMM quality.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spector Rebop-

What made me consider it? I had an NS2000/5 I shouldn't have sold, and this is my way of atoning for an impulse move (I really need a machine to look 6 months into the future). It's a five strings with a nut wider than 45mm, and has an Aguilar OBP-1 in it, so I should be doing just fine, tone wise.

Build quality? Played many of it's brothers, and unless it gets here and is a lemon, it should be a top notch build.
  6. stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    For most of my basses I bought them used and in person. The thing that was most important to me was the way that it felt. Next, I was attracted to versatility, ie. 3 band pre or active/passive, 2 pick-ups, things like that.

Recently though I have been getting some basses sight unseen or trading and then it is the versatility and reputation that they have here and elsewhere that attracts me.

As for quality assurence, again I look to the reputation and just the plain old visual inspection, but then again I have been lucky to get mostly top notch hand made instruments and I have never had any real problems.
  7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    With my most recent, it was the desire for a more "back to basics" instrument - a four-string, P or P-inspired shape, passive pups and electronics... something nice and simple I could strap lower than normal and play pickstyle on and possible downtune "A Perfect Circle" style (C#, F#, B, E). And honestly? I wasn't expecting to get it anytime soon - I'd made a deal with the fiancée in regards to the "rebuilding" of my rig over the past year that anything post-rebuilding would come from my pocket, which I was more than fine with. It was GAS, pure and simple.

...until I came across the Ibanez RKB900 that everyone and their mother has been picking up, and found the perfect instrument for what my "toolbox" was needing and then some - Seymour Duncan Bassline Quarter Pounder P/J pickups, Hipshot tuners, Leo Quan BAII bridge, one-piece thicker maple "Prestige" neck and fingerboard (my first maple board), two-piece alder body with a beautiful "Vintage Fade" transparent finish (all my basses save one are painted, and this is my first 'burst)... and to get all of this at the discontinued price of $349.99 minus my 5% ASCAP discount?!? I sat the fiancée down, explained it all and showed her the rave BP review from the summer of '03, and asked.

I'm extremely lucky to have a woman that will allow me to break my word with few consequences. :smug:

8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, my purchase on the SX 62QMD bass was pretty easy - Wanted a new bass, something cheap (because I make $30 a week and my parents make me save half of it) and wanted to try a jazz, and well the megathread kinda really convinced me.

Couldn't be happier though...
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    That Ibanez is a real model???

LOL..someone showed it to me a while back and I thought someone was being funny with Photoshop.
  10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I wasn't shopping for a bass when I bought ANY of the basses I currently own. It just sort of happened. Looks would have to be the first thing, just because I saw them before I played them. They had to look interesting, or well made, or appealing in some way. Feel, playability, sound, all these are important. Quality, detail, and of course price. All are factors, and important to me. I don't literally have a scorecard for this sort of thing, but but I guess I do sort of rate these qualities when evaluating an instrument, weighing the various factors. My high end basses had a higher price, but were worth it because of the other factors. My cheap bass was pretty good in the other categories, and an incredible deal. There's always a tradeoff somewhere. The only bass I bought without playing first was my Alembic, I owned one already and had a pretty good idea what to expect, the price was good and it was an Exploiter, which I'd wanted for a very long time.
  11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I like instruments with classic looks & modern features like a good preamp and a good B. Lakland's 55-94 did it for me. Classic looks, excellent tones, and comfortable to play. Now, what attracted me to my next instrument? EVERYTHING! I'm somewhat patiently waiting while talented hands are creating one of my dream instruments in Vancouver. Just a matter of weeks (Insert Carley Simon singing a verse or two of "Anticipation" here)...
  12. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I wanted a Great pair of basses to take with me to berklee, but i didnt have a tone of $$$. So one day i played a Yamaha TRB-6P @ guitar center i absolutly loved the sound, i liked that it had piezos, a thruneck, and extra wide string spacing (a real relief from the conklin gt-7). Then i saw how much it is new and i though i had to get this bass, but they took it down to put it up on ebay. So i went home and found the exact same bass on ebay for 300$ less than what guitar center what asking. so i snagged that one. So i had one out of the 2 basses i needed, i figured because it had piezos it shoud make it a fretless, so now i need a fretted bass. I liked bolt-on basses because their punchier, easy to maintain and adjustable. I need one with the same specs, and i always had a crush on the Yamaha TRB-JP, and it just seemed like a natural next step. so i did some searching and got that one for $900 with a case. and new we have the twins.

13. glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    Having played EB3's when they were new to the market I got hooked on the short scale, light weight bass. So, I went in search of an SG style bass that had good hardwoods, a neck through or dadoed design, modern high quality Humbucking style pups, and was less than the $1300 the vintage Gibsons go for.

I'd played the Epiphone SG bass Gibson offers as their economy model and didn't like anything about it. It was a neck diver, not a short scale at all, and just played like a $6.00 Mexican souvenir. :spit: :eyebrow:

Then a friend from Texas called to BS and he suggested the ESP Viper. After being impressed with the celebrities who swear by them, I was totally awed when I played one. Great feel and balance, true short scale, EMG 45HZ with 3 band actEQ, maple/ash neckthrough neck, carbon comp nut, stringthrough tunematic bridge, on and on, and less than $500 new, free shipping and free hard case. :hyper: :D :hyper:

Great sound, and a superb bass overall. The ESP economy line, LTD, is superior to most other mfrs. regular line.

:cool: :smug: :p ;)
  14. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That pretty much sums it up...

No tweaking or fussing with batteries, switches or controls...just plug it in and play the sh*t out of it. :D

It's just so fricking beautiful in it's simplicity.