"What feels good to you"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sinisterman, Jan 6, 2002.

1. sinisterman

Jul 6, 2001
    Just a comment to the more experienced users (not sure if this is the right forum):

I've noticed that a lot of times when someone new asks a really basic question, like "What kind of bass should I get?" "How high should I wear my bass?" or "What's the best hand position for..." or something along those lines, a lot of people give answers along the lines of "Try x, y, and z, and see which one works best for you."

Even though there is some wisdom in that kind of answer, there's a problem with it, too. Learning to play the bass involves a certain amount of physical discomfort. But some aspects of playing are supposed to be uncomfortable when you start, because you're trying to train your hands to do things or take positions which aren't natural. As a newbie, what I found hardest was learning the difference between the kind of physical difficulty you should expect at first (and hopefully work through) and the kind that means you're doing something wrong.

For example, for me, it was a challenge just trying to develop a four-fret span. Had I stayed with what felt the best at first, I'd still be playing three frets on one string. But there's a difference between the pain I felt in my fretting hand before it became more agile and the pain I felt in my wrist from having the bass slung too low. More experienced players already know that kind of thing, and that's the kind of thing us newbies need to hear.
  2. thats weird, I've been playing for about 11 years and have always had my bass slung low. a couple of months ago it felt good to have my bass higher, so I tried it. I could see the advantage of having it higher, but the pain in my wrist from it being arched at such an extreme angle made my "slung higher" phase end quickly.maybe my problem was, I just didn't give it time to get used to it being like that.

I forget what its like to be just starting out, or learning something new. my wife started playing guitar last year. she's been playing piano since she was 4, has a degree in music, and is a piano teacher. she can stretch her hands all over the piano, but she can't stretch her fingers over the 4 fret span of a guitar. I could never figure this out, but I guess it's just a different type of stretch that people that have been playing a while can just do without even thinking about it. sometimes I would just be like "come on it's not that hard". but, maybe it is.