Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What feels right????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This subject without a doubt has been covered time and time again, but what makes a bass as soon as you pick it up feel just right in your hands? What makes that the bass your commited too, and that you want too own personally? Just curious as too what makes a bass just right and perfect to its owner I guess. I personally love the feeling of a thumb nt 4 and a stingray 5 .

:p

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Good question, fixer. I guess we all have preferences on neck widths, and body weight, but I agree that the right bass goes deeper than that. I don't live very close to any shops, so when I go to the city, I hit the music shops hard. I have walked out of shops where NONE of the basses felt right, but when I do find one, I'll try 4 or 5 others, and then try the ONE again, and may even go back later in the day and try a few, then the ONE, and I know if it is MY bass. My Sringrays and my L2000 definitely fit me, and I will be picking up a 78 P soon. I guess Leo basses do it for me.
    Doc

3. Put very simply, when you pick up a bass it has a "feel" that almost can't be put into words. Even before you plug it in something's just right. Now, feel isn't everything, I've picked up a few basses that felt great, but just didn't deliver when it came to sound. Looking at it from the reverse is similar. I've played a few basses that felt uncomfortable in my hands, but sounded dynamite. When you have both, buy it. This is exactly what happened in June when I was all set to buy a BTB. I loved the BTB in every way, but, I just picked up this Yamaha, and the elusive marriage of sound and feel were there instantly. The BTB was more versatile, but this Yamaha had THE EXACT sound I've been looking for. It's kind of the same with women, ya know what I mean? There might be two girly poos with equally nice personalities and looks, but, you "click"
    with one more than the other. Other similarities:

Basses have pickups - We pickup women
    Basses have strings - Women string you along
    I like a bass with a nice neck - Ditto for brides
    You play the blues on your bass - Women give you the blues
    Basses need new strings every once in a while to be happy - Women need shoes

There are a few others, but, this is a family forum.

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Words of wisdom there. :)

It's a chemistry thing - you can't put it down to a formula, or to specifications, or to anything physical. You pick up a bass, you play it, you hear it, you feel it, and then you either love it or you don't. Just like a woman. ;)