1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Fender bass am I thinking of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ironfist, Nov 27, 2005.

1. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Does anyone remember the name of a bass Fender produced in the late 80's or early 90's that had three jazz style single coil pickups with the back one angled (similar to a stratocaster)? It was a pretty standard four string bass aside from the unusual pickup scheme and similar to other hard rock and metal oriented instruments Fender was producing at the time. It was rear-routed and had sort of a 'hair metal' look, kinda like the strat they made with a floyd rose and the word "STRAT" printed on the headstock in pink slashed letters. I've been trying to find a picture of one but without the name I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Not a clue. The old(& RI)Bass VI had 3, IIRC, but I wouldn't call that a proper bass.

3. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Fender HM, made in usa "heavy metal" series 4-string and I think they made a 5. It was a scaled-down p-style body, 3 passive jazz pickups, 5-way pickup selector, maple bolt-on jazz neck with rosewood fretboard, sealed tuners, all black hardware.

4. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    That's what I was thinking of! Thank you!

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And if memory serves, the one I tried was a 5, so they did exist.

6. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Yes they did, but had very narrow string spacing as I recall