What Fender guitar would you buy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Musiciansfriend is having a special e-mail sale on Fender guitars & basses.

$30 off any Squire
    $50 off any Standard Fender (MIM or MIJ)
    $100 off any MIA Fender

Now, one of the last things I need is another guitar, but I've wanted to get a real Fender guitar for a while, and these price cuts are tempting me.

So, what do you think would be the best Fender for Blues.

I'm mainly thinking aboute one of these three:

As you can tell, I'm partial to Telecasters, but all suggestions are welcome.

2. That Tele HS looks great. I like the idea of HS or SSH pickup arrangements. It depends on what you're looking for. SSH sounds good for heavier styles, since it has a humbucker in the bridge position adding a bit of fatness. But the neck and middle pickups are still single coil, bright and snappy sounding. The HS seems to be the opposite, thickening the neck pickup tone and keeping the signature Tele bite in the bridge position. I love Teles, especially clean or overdriven with a bit of reverb.
  3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    My MIA Telecaster is a wonderful playing and sounding guitar. However, I did spring for Kinman pickups.
  4. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I like the American TelecasterĀ® HS. I have a Squire Fat tele. and I like the humbucker in the neck and the single coil at the bridge. I don't like humbuckers in a tele. I can take it in the neck but not the bridge. Chicken pick'n with a humbucker just dosn't cut it for me.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The 72 thinline is what my guitarist uses and its very nice.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've always liked telecasters.
  8. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Blues guitar you say. Haven't you seen the Crossroads guitar festival? Strat all the way. The Eric Johnson strat is an awesome guitar
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd go for the HS Tele... but that's mainly because Andy Summer's (one of my favorite guitarists) famous Tele had a HS (among other customizations) setup. ;)
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd buy a gretsch first. Then a Tele.

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The onyl Fender I'd consider buying would be one with G&L written on the headstock :p

The thinline is real purdy like though
  13. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    After I finally finish doing up my DB (got a couple strings to buy and that takes care of MY monetary woes about it...thank you birthday and christmas!) I'll be buying myself a guitar for jazz and blues. I'm having a hard time deciding between an Epi Dot or a MIM Tele.

If I were you, I'd go for the HS tele in wine red and put a pearloid guard on it. Slightly more swankified version of Joe Messina's from SITSOM. 50 bonus points if it's got a rosewood board...100 more if it's got MOP blocks (although this strikes me as a CS only feature.)
  16. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    thinline.. hands down
  17. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    American Strat. No humbucker. No S-1 switch. Just a classic, as it was meant to be, Strat.
  18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tele's are cool, if I got one it would be the 62 reissue with the binding, but I'm with the general consensus, Blues get a strat. If your doing Fender, get one with the Texas Specials, a really cool "gritty" Pickup.
  19. I hear you, nettor. ;)

I think most people associate the Strat more closely with The Blues than the Telecaster, think: Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Robert Cray. I love Robert Cray.

But then we have Muddy Waters and Albert Collins on the Telecaster side along with Susan Tedeschi.

I love both Strats and Teles, but I just seem more drawn to the Tele. I think this is the guitar world's equivalent of the Precision vs Jazz debate.

Two others I was thinking about were:

And checkout this Tele from Mars: www.parkerguitars.com/code/models/models_pseries_p36_intro.asp I think it's $589 at MF, plus it's got piezos!

I want to sincerely thank all of you who responded. :cool:

I honestly thought I was going to find only 3 or 4 responses.

Keep the ideas coming, and name any more famous Tele players that you know.

Nice looking Tele, Munji. ;)

Mike :)