1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Fender jazz to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman Tom, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Bassman Tom

Bassman Tom

Dec 8, 2006
    I am wanting to upgrade to a Fender Jazz Bass .I am only 13 and been playing bass for 5 years. Now in a jazz improv band .
    What do you think would suit me? is a Marcus Miller too heavy.

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    the heavieness all depends on your size, my mates brother was just about 6ft when he was 13 and could probably handle the heaviest of basses.

3. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    maybe a deluxe !?...

they aren't so heavy..

if you want the classic tone.. you can pick up a standard one

4. MIJ 75 Reissue is what I would get

5. 24 fret MIK one

6. Bassman Tom

Bassman Tom

Dec 8, 2006
    Its so hard too choose and confusing. Play now Fender a 3/4 musicmaster. I am about 5ft and 55kilos I do like classic tone esp. Victor Wooten.
    thanks for your help.

7. hmmm about 5 foot? Scratch the 75 RI I suggested then, probably too heavy...

8. SoulStabber

SoulStabber

Mar 13, 2006
    Malaysia
    Get the ash bodied ones..It would be lighter compared to alder bodies

9. I don't think that's true in most cases, all the ash bodied Jazzes I've played have been pretty heavy

10. djlufkin

djlufkin

Dec 1, 2006
    I also stated out with 3/4 basses...after a while I realized that they lacked the intonation and full tone range of the full scale basses...even if your hands are smaller now, you will want to switch asap. I also highly recommend most Japanese Jazz basses from a cost and quality perspective. Meanwhile, spend the day at guitar center or similar location until you find one you like. It doesn't matter what we think, you have to love the bass you get...the jazz neck width and features are the way to go in the meantime:bassist:

PS...Just saw Marcus last night at Berklee...I have to go practice now

11. Bassman Tom

Bassman Tom

Dec 8, 2006
    Looking forward to all your replies .Thanks. off to bed , midnight in AUS

12. The Geddy might be a good choice for you, not too heavy and a neck well suited for smallish hands

13. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    +1 on the Geddy, great for the price and the neck is phenominal, also has great vintage tone as well as clean.

14. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Having owned both the geddy lee and marcus miller jazzes I can say they are both fantastic for the price. The MM is considerably heavier than the GL, if you are playing long sets standing up then this is something to consider. They each sound different so if possible play both of them. You might also consider the Fender Highway One jazz. As far as weight is concerned the Lakland JO4 is the lightest jazz bass I have played that is under $800 (used). Good luck.

15. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I beleive the standard is around 9.5, and if you get a deluxe its going to be a tad heavier as well if you get a 5-string.

16. Geddy Lee or Jaguar. And widdee straps.

17. Joeonbass

Joeonbass

Dec 9, 2006
    Guildford, UK
    I recommend something from Fender Japan, I'm 14 and after playing various Jazzes from Fender USA and also owning one for a while I was dissapointed with the sound, i currently own a 1962 reissue Jazz Bass from Fender Japan and I would definitely recommend it, the tone is amazing! Perfect with Ashdown amps, sounds mint. If not go for the similar '75 reissue also from Fender Japan. Hope this helps

Joe

18. If you get a MM, and are worried about weight, just find one and play it before. Most are right around 10lb (a little bit heavy. Most fenders are closer to 9), but there are some goings into the 9lb range, and some up to 12-13lb range. Its a production bass, so don't expect the most consistancy on weight. Even with a heavy one, its nothing a wide 4+ inch strap couldn't handle.

But I do reccomend a MM. Geddy Lee's are great too, but they sound a lot different than most Jazz basses, so you should probably try it out before you buy it as well.

Anything Fender MIJ/CIJ makes is likely going to be a quality product, so definatly don't shy away from them.

Lastly, if you want something a little more 'Old School' feeling in that price range, take a look at the MIA Highway One Jazz Basses. I own one and Love it. It gets a pretty warm, vintage style tone, while still retaining clarity (probably due to the BadAss bridge upgrade).

19. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    +1

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I just sold a pre upgrade 04 Hwy 1 Jazz that was just a hair over 8 lbs for 400 plus shipping ... very tough to go wrong on something like that ... otherwise, I would do a Geddy Lee probably for you .... USED though!!!