1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what fender model is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by colors, Sep 14, 2008.

1. colors

colors

Sep 1, 2005
    Connecticut
    got me stumped, anyone?

Attached Files:

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    JP-90 or Jazz Special or something. I can't remember off hand. Duff McKagan's signature is based off of it.

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Looks like either a p-bass special, or a lyte. Time for a more qualified Fender person to come along and verify that.

4. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    I don't think it's a Lyte, it's more likely a Duff McKagan signiature.

EDIT: Actually, the Duff sig has a black headstock so probably not. That model seems to have a different shape than most, so it could be a wierd model fender did when cbs started to take over. Do you know how old it is?

5. ReidoT

ReidoT

Sep 9, 2007
    the duff signature has a black headstock though, i think

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I don't believe it's a Duff, me thinks it predates the actual Duff sig. The Duff has a Black painted headstock, characteristic of the J-bass special (CIJ).
    Jazz bass special = originally what Duff's is. Me thinks it's a P special w/out pickguard.

7. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Yeah as soon as i posted mine I googled it and edited my post.

8. colors

colors

Sep 1, 2005
    Connecticut
    yeah it seems that all of the japan basses have black headstocks and all of the lyte's have four volume/tone knobs. thanks for the info thusfar.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Told you all I knew what it was :p

10. 1990s P Bass Deluxe people.

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    It is the J9-90

12. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It is not a JP-90. It is a made in Mexico Precision Special Deluxe as GobBass and Alembicplyr have noted. It is affectionately known as the "Cowpoke". If you look closely you can see the screw holes for the original pickguard which was similar to an original p_bass pickguard.

JP-90:
    [​IMG]

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I seem to recall the cowpoke P-Basses have PGs with a big ugly CNC hole under them.

-Former Cowpoke owner

14. I would say JP-90, I used to have a black one back in the early 90's.

15. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
  16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Yup. The JP-90 and the Cowpoke are just about the same bass. The Japanes Jazz Bass Special (Duff) is a different animal. Fender seemed to keep changing the cosmetics and name on this bass, probably trying to improve sales. I think all the basses in this "line" have downsized headstocks. IMHO, these are pretty good basses.

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I take it back, maybe. I see pickguard screwholes in the cowpoke position. Can't remember the official name of the cowpoke, and I'm not sure if mine has the cnc hole under the pickguard.

EDIT: Mine did NOT have a CNC hole. KPJ saying Precision Special Deluxe sounds familiar.

EDIT: Sorry for the resurrection here. I'm typing before my morning coffee here. As you were.

18. Please start listening to Modo76. He knows of what he speaks.

Also the cowpoke(Mexican Precision Deluxe) is a totally different beast from the JP-90. The JP-90 was an American made jazz precision hybrid that was the budget American(Think HW-1) of the time. It's body cuts were more angular and required less machining, and as I recall it was only available in solid colors so lower quality body woods were needed. It was also passive.

The Cowpoke was the upper end Mexican Precision that was active and had stacked knobs(Volume-Blend, Bass-treble). It was available in black, white, blonde, red, and Sunburst, and had a standard precision sized body.

Both had 22-Fret neck jazz necks and were only available with rosewood boards if my memory serves me.

The bass the OP showed was the American Precision Deluxe plus. It had a smaller precision style body, Lace Sensors, and no pickguard.

The truth of the matter is that all three came out at about the same time, but the interest in Vintage basses was peaking simultaneously. Buyers were not interested in Fenders that did not look vintage and none of them made very good sales. Quickly Fender reverted to Traditional appearing instruments with much greater success.

19. look closely at the pic- you can see holes where the scratchplate screws were-

it's a cowpoke Mex Precision Special.

also it's got a standard tinplate bridge and pickups with visible polepieces- whereas the US Precision Plus Deluxe had a heavy cast bridge with fine tuners, and plain covered Lace Sensor pickups.

20. Though the issue of what bass the OP was asking about is most likely resolved, the Fender P Lyte looks like this:

[​IMG]

The cutaways are much smaller and the body mass / weight is reduced significantly by some really nice contouring. ;)