Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Fenders are "Crafted in Japan"???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgtthump, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I know there's that Ishibashi (?) store in Japan that will ship Fender CIJ basses to buyers in the US, but I'm talking about basses available in stores here in the US.

After buying my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, I've determined that CIJ basses just kick complete arse!!! I want another! :) I think the Sting Precision is CIJ, but what other Fenders in stores like Guitar Center are CIJ?

I'm not looking for another Jazz either. I want to go for a P style this time around.

Chris

2. Most of the Signature models are MIJ, except for a few that are MIA.

The Marcus Miller 4 is a great buy.

But if you're looking for something more classic, you can always find a MIJ pbass or jazz on ebay. It's crawling with them

3. Thanks... I might have to check out that Sting bass soon, since they have a couple of them in one of the local Guitar Centers.

I'd like to get my hands on a Steve Harris Sig P-Bass. Were those MIJ? That's the style of bass I'm wanting for my second bass. You can't get those new anymore, right?

Chris

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ya they were only made for one year there blue with a purple pickguard and a duncan pu and a Bad ass bridge and 100% SEXUAL!!

5. Only one year? Wow! That sucks!!! I bet they fetch a pretty penny IF you can even find one. Scratch that idea... :crying:

6. You read my mind. I was just about to ask if the Aerodynes were MIJ!!! :) Thanks!

7. Beauties aint they

Theres the Export model (made for EU and US), thats got the rear routing and all black

And the "custom" model, which is for Asian and Japan, this looks more like a standard Jazz, has fret dots, front routed control plate and pickguard (not as pretty as the export:p )

8. The '51 ri p bass is MIJ.
    You also might want to see if Guitargai (or is it Guitargui?) has anything on ebay right now. He sells fender japan stuff (the kind you can't get here) and has had a few sweet CIJ P basses lately. You could do a search on his auctions that are already over to find out what they are selling for. Apolon-saty (sp?) has some great stuff on the 'bay also. But you have to pay for shipping from Japan.

9. Does anyone know if the Victor Bailey Signature is made in Japan or made in the US?

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    MIA :)

11. Thought so. Thanks pyrohr. Mine should be here in a week! :hyper:

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    As to the original question:

Any non-export Fender Japan instrument made after 1995 bears the "Crafted in Japan" logo.

13. Thanks. I was asking what CIJ Fenders are available in the US stores. Specific models and stuff. But thanks!!!

Chris

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You are in for one helluva treat! Mine is awesome! :D

15. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    The marcus miller jazz bass says "crafted in japan" at the base of the neck, right above the heel. And I'm pretty confident that that is not a non-export model....

16. I think he misunderstood or something. My Geddy Lee says "Crafted in Japan" at the base of the neck and that model is clearly available in the US. I'd imagine the Sting bass says it as well...

17. :smug:

18. Hello,

I have a Fender Squire P-bass that was MIJ. Here's the thing about that; My luthier, Mark Arnquist, went to the factory in the Mid 80's. He found something very interesting. They ordered the same lots of woods (I.E. Alder for body blanks, Rock Maple for necks, and Rose wood for FB.) From the same locations that the MIA Fenders were buying from. This was very enlightening. I then found a Mid 80's Fender Squire. It was brilliant with one exception, the electronics (Pups, pots, and Jacks) were crap. I then replaced them with Seymour Duncan vintage P-Bass pups, and CTS smooth taper pots with a Switchcraft jack. This electric bass is functionally an American Standard Fender P-Bass. I love it and will never part with it. The best recording bass I have. With the vintage pups, I get that essential 1957 P-Bass sound. Total outlay after all was said and done, the initial bass $250, the pups, pots and jack about a hundred. So for $350, I have a great bass. However, I really did a loit of homework. If you know what you really want, and do your homework, and if you more care about playability than collectability, there are some real deals to be had.