Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What fingerboard goes best with buckeye burl???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfehollow, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    why, stabilized spalted maple, of course !

3. Macassar ebony.

4. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    pics?

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Maple... Nice contrast

;)

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It really depends on what the buckeye looks like...you can get white buckeye, green, blue, gray, yellow....

My Garrison has a buckeye top that is gray/blueish and yellow. It has a killer birdseye maple fingerboard. They look great together.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    figured maple on my FBB.

You are just talking aesthetics, right?

Whatchya got in the works, bud?

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Mac Ebony!

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree with Jared that it depends on the coloration of the buckeye. My favorites thus far though have been spalted purpleheart (half-purple half-mapley colored) and persimmons, which has a similar color to maple.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nice suggestions here. Stay away from orangey and orangey-brown woods!

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you have the usual very busy/colorful buckeye, I'd go with black ebony. Anything else could look like dressing in plaids and stripes at the same time. The plain black would look very classy.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And after seeing your last fantastic instrument :bassist:, I second the question: What are you up to now?? :)

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    My choice also. I've seen a lot of differnet varieties of Buckeye Burl (and I love it) but it can be a bit too much if both the body and the neck are busy pieces of wood.

14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    HEHE!!! I am always up to something!!! Just going over some ideas. I have been talking to Larry at Gallery and he has been a huge help... I have a couple basses I want to get out of my head and I am looking at the wood options available. Any suggestions for something unique??

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm looking for some camphor burl myself...
    don't tell nobody tho, it's a secret!

16. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    is that the wood that looks like lung tissue??? :)

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My luthier is building a bass or two with a camphor burl top-I'm waiting to see how they come out.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Currently throwing the idea around i would say, some sort of figured maple.

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Jon,
    The nice thing about buckeye burl is that both light and dark boards go nice with the top. I have a Roscoe on the way that will have a spalted purpleheart sapwood board (where the whole finergoard is a blonde color), but birdseye maple, pau fero, etc. would have worked just as well. Likewise, any variety of rosewood would be great too, and will pick up a lot of the dark coloration (grays, blacks, browns) in buckeye burl. Because buckeye burl can vary SOOOOO much in the degree of figuring, type of figuring, and the colors that are represented, I think you might have to go on an individual basis here.

20. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I really like this Ziricote stabilized finger board...

[​IMG]