what finish is on there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 30, 2020.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    yes yes yes!!! i know this is a guitar, i’m not blind, but i’m just interested in the finish. nitro??? i don’t see it being glossy, and i doubt its poly either. i’m surprised i couldn’t find an answer on any other various guitar forum so i’m afraid i’ll have to do a more hands-on approach to get those sweet sweet answers.

Attached Files:

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I would guess nitro

bon viesta likes this.
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Both nitro and poly can be anything from flat to satin to super shiny. It is difficult to tell what a finish is from a picture. Over time nitro can develop characteristic crazing but the lack of it is not diagnostic.

bon viesta likes this.
  4. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    satin nitro?

5. Is there even a finish on them? Back in the day before wood was the deciding factor in a guitar's tone, finish was. John and George stripped the finish off 2 guitars and this sparked the common knowledge that guitars needed to breathe. So this may be one of those breathing guitars with no finish.

Hachimitsu and bon viesta like this.
  6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    wouldn’t they have deteriorated (mildly) into the 70s when both george and john were still using theirs? i know they may act differently to solid bodies but generally it is a baaaad idea to have an unfinished guitar instrument with wood out there in the open like that, and for good reason.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022