Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what finish over colored pencil

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DougP, Feb 22, 2006.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    so, i am letting my girlfriend "paint" my new Carvin kit (guitar) with colored pencils. she is using Prisma brand, which she feels confident will give her a great result.

my question, does anyone have any experience putting a finish coat over colored pencil? what did you use?

i am doing some preliminary testing with Polycrylic (Satin) by using a few layers of really light misting on some colored up scrap wood. it is my hopes that by lightly covering the colors i can prevent the colors from running. once i have enough of a top coat misted on i am hoping to be able to switch to more direct spraying.

any pitfalls that i should be considering now?

thanks

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Is she coloring the ENTIRE thing?

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yup. :)

its going to be pretty wild. even the back of the neck is going to be done.

4. Post pics.. My girlfriend will find it amusing!

-ryan-

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'd like to see some pictures, too.

6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'd like to hear what sticks to waxy colored pencils!

7. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    +1

8. in short, we don't know. We build guitars and basses, not pencils! :bag:

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

i figure i will probably find out what doesnt stick faster than what does stick.

she has only begun the first lines on it, so in the meantime i am frantically trying to figure out what can be applied to protect it.

if it comes out like poop, then i can just sand it back down and start with some stain or something...which would be quite depressing and upsetting to erase her hard work.

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> It's hard enough to get paint to stick when there isn't any wax in the equation to deal with! Even if you find something that does stick, it probably won't for long..

Slug

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    so far i do have Polycrylic holding up pretty good. i have been scratching at it with my fingernails and even buffed it up with steel wool.

but yeah, time will tell. but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless. :)