1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What first gigging amp should i get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freddomaytee, Dec 14, 2011.

1. freddomaytee

freddomaytee

Dec 14, 2011
    Hi,
    I will start gigging in small British pubs soon and will need a larger amp. What is a decent, cheapish amp that is powerful enough to be heard and should I get a combo or head and cab?

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    If you have the transportation for your bass gear, get a head and a 210 cab or better. A head and a cab almost ALWAYS will be louder than a combo. You can always upgrade each piece too. What brands do you have available around you? What brands do you like at the moment? What kind of band do you play in? PA support for the bass guitar? Rig on stage mainly just for monitoring?

3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Should be used and relatively cheap. Don't be fooled by size, it's the sound that matters, and Gearhead17 is right, be sure you can load it in your vehicle and still drive.

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I am not a fan of combos. Head and a cab for sure. When selecting a cab, don't forget 12's. I would rather have a single 112 then a 210.

5. +1

A good 112 can compete with a 210, but it mainly comes down to personal preference. Me, I seem to like the punch that comes with 10" speakers a bit more, but a good 112 is always great!

I would go for Genz Benz myself, maybe a used NeoPak 3.5 (tough to find new as they're discontinued) or a Shuttle 3 or 6, depending on how much volume you want. Any of those heads + a NeoX 212 = killer combo!

6. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Great advice. I have an M-Line, Shuttle 6, and a Neopak 3.5 The Neopak is my go to head....with 2-112 cabs

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Speaker size is irrelevant to anything but how much it beams highs and mids. All cabs should be judged on a case by case basis and not speaker size.

8. True that Jimmy! You've got to find what works for you, be it a bunch of 5 inch speakers like in Phil Jones' stuff, 10s, 12s, 15s or even 18s and up.

9. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Sheesh! The OP was only asking if he should get a head and cab, or a combo. Let's not get too technical debating speaker size. I say head and 12's. I think that answers his original question.

10. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    What kind of music will you be playing, and how much stage volume do you expect?

11. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Nov 30, 2010
    Simple answer to a simple question.

Get a 200-300 watt head and either a 115 or a 410 cabinet.

Tried and true rig for pub gigs.

Look for used if money is tight.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Try to find a used 4x10. It'll cover you for any gig that wouldn't already require PA support.