What fits the bill? SVT Sound, small package.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theroan, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Any suggestions?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    A small amp of your choice with a VT-bass pedal.

3. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    If you are not concerned about high sound pressure levels, then certainly the above suggestion will work. If you are looking to reproduce the SVT sound at SVT sound pressure levels, you will be fighting with physics. The three most desirable features of bass cab design... loud, deep, small... You can ONLY HAVE TWO!! Your best bet might be a fEarful-type cab, using some sort of SVT simulator to capture the tone

4. A certain SVT fanatic here has said many times that a Little Mark II is the closest thing he's found, believe it or not.

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    + the VT pedal.

6. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    LMII/III + VT bass pedal.

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    TC Electronic RH450 with a little bit of the built-in TUBETONE and 3 band compressor is the closest I've heard.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd say the LMII, and a pedal if you want distortion, is about the best I've heard.

9. I guess I should specify, amp, not a pedal. Unless of course the pedal is better most amps?

10. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    +1, even with my krappy Zoom 506, I can get a decent SVT tone out of my Carvin LSx1503, which was the inspiration behind the fEarful.

11. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    You could always get a SVP-Pro

12. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Anyone else like the OD from an Xotic Bass BB for this type of tone?

13. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Good choice; I own one. That said, I've been using my SansAmp rig lately to achieve the SVT vibe. I currently use SansAmp RBI and RPM preamps in parallel, but the RBI works great all by itself.

P.S. The SVP-Pro, RBI, and RPM are all preamps. You'll need to rack them with a power amp for live use.

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Just get an SVT CL or the 70's head through a smaller cab like a 410 or 210. SVT sound in a small package right there. The VT bass is most likely the only item out there that gets close to the tone. Otherwise, you need to buy the real thing to get there.

16. For a clean SVT sound a SVP-CL preamp/power amp of your choice + Acme B2 will do it. I played my son's 70's SVT head through my B2 and my SVP/power amp gets the same sound. I have to qualify this by saying that I was only comparing the amp portion of the SVT equation. Whether the speaker sounds like an SVT cab I couldn't say since I didn't have a SVT cab for comparison. I can say that the combination sounds very good.

If you want the overdriven sound you can get some of it from the preamp but you really need the tube power amp.

Rick B.

17. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    SVT in a small package?
    How about a Ampeg Micro SVT VR.
    With 2x10 cab. (or two 2x10 cabs)

18. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    ba-ding!

the micro-vt is actually really nice; as long as your'e cool with the spl that rigs that size are gonna put out.

19. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I use a VT pedal through a LMII and some Genz cabs when I want that sound. It gets the job done amazingly well.

20. How does the Micro do with drums and a band?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021