what flat wound strings came with light green thread?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tajue17, Nov 3, 2016.

1. I have a used 4-string bass here that has some nickel looking flat wounds with light green thread wrap,, anyone know what brand they might be?

2. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    Fender old stock flats

gfaulkner and iiipopes like this.
  3. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Sounds like Fender flats.

iiipopes likes this.
  4. its a fender so that makes sense,,, thank you.

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    According to this thread - I've never seen nor played old Fender flats personally, only the post-2011 9050CL - the old ones had green silk at the ball-end side but none at the tuner end, so this is an easy way to rule out one or the other:
    Old Fender Flats

6. Also, only the new version comes with colored ball ends (as per D'Addario), while the old ones had the regular gold/brass ends.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. the strings I have on this bass are wrapped at the tuner ends and nothing at the ball ends, they look dark like Nickle... I really like how they sound and would love to pick up a 2nd set for the case.

8. Do they look like these?

[​IMG]

9. Wait... You say they have no silk at the ball ends. They can't be the new Fender 9050 flats then.

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Nor can they be older 9050 Fenders either (those with the P-bass depicted on the package, if you're familiar with them visually).
    Actually they could be new but with silks that have been peeled off for some reason (but again, as Michael said, they'd have to have coloured ball-ends). For that matter they also could be even older Fender flats (850? 950? were they contemporary different gauges or successive models? I think there was also an F-80 model at some point):
    Fender flats with green silk
    Also have a look here:
    Flats ID Help: Green Silk on Both Ends..
    These are either predecessors or earlier specimens of the same:
    Vintage Fender Flatwound Bass Strings Never Used 4str

Wow, very common question it seems! Threads about the new type (not all of them, just those with "green" in the title):
    Flatwound strings with green silk... Who makes them?
    Fender flats (green wrap)?

Threads about the mid-period, no silk at the tuners flats, even if we've ruled out those:
    Flats with green silk on bridge end only?
    Identify green silk wrap flatwounds
    (As a point of interest, a post in it identifies old Dean Markley flats as another possibility, with no sure recollection on where the silks were on those.)
    Flats with green silks at the bridge?
    ID Flatwounds Please - Green Silk
    Can anyone ID these flatwounds? Medium green silk.
    Flats with emerald green silks? (No mention of tuner-end silks present or missing.)
    What brand of flats have green wrapping...?

A thread with pics of either Pyramid or Höfner-branded short scale, nickel-wound, lime-green flats:
    specific about short scale flatwound strings: lime green wrappings
    Another probably about Pyramids, but in one of their dark green phases:
    Flats with dark green silks?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  11. @HaphAsSard, I give you full marks for being thorough in your research! :thumbsup:

HaphAsSard likes this.
  12. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Eh, since topics in which I actually know my poozzle from experience and reading are few and far between, digging up past TB knowledge is the only other way in which I can be an asset for the community: I'm the search function ninja! :cool:

Klonk and michael_t like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021