1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What flats for my 50th Ann. P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I like the rounds that are on my Fender P, but I have flats on my other basses as I just like flats better in general.

I have DR flats on my StingRay 5 and TI Jazz flats on my Sterling, so Im considering something different for the P, although Im sure that a set of the DRs or TIs would rock on the P-Bass.

What you recommend?

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    LaBella FM's medium 49-109 for a heavy Blues or Classic Rock sound.
    LaBella FS standard 45-105 for a slightly lighter sound.

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    LOVING my Sadowsky flats (light gauge) on my fretless Jazz

4. d'addario chromes

5. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Ernie ball flats are currently the best flats I have tried , I will be tried TI's soon but Ernie Ball are the best I have tried so far , very warm sounding and full , strong but smooth mids, rolled off treble , very articulate sounding without the brightness of roto's flats or chromes

6. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Travis, I really like the super light Daddario chromes (40 60 70 95) on my P bass, the seem to me slinkier than the XL 170 rounds I had on it before. I dont have alot of exp with other flats other than the EB ones, but I like these much better. I keep toying with the idea with buying a set for my 62 reisue jazz when it finally comes in, but havent decided if I want to leave rounds on it yet or not.

John

7. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Labella deep talkin flats. Very hefty strings that give you a hefty and beefy tone. I love them:bassist:

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    My suggestion is La Bella 760FL. In my experience you don't gain a whole lot by higher gauge La Bella, and the tension can be ridiculous.

Unless you like very high tension. Some do.

La Bellas on a P Bass create that sound. I smiled for weeks when I first had the La bellas on my P bass.

9. Seems like I have some thinking to do.

the LaBella rounds on the P-Bass sound good, so maybe laBellas are in order.

Well see.

10. walruswaspaul

walruswaspaul

Jan 23, 2008
    ernie ball flats definately , full and round sounding

11. arthurzen

arthurzen

Feb 29, 2008
    New England
    I have ghs precision flats on my American P

They're really smooth and have a mellow sound with very little sustain which I like in the flatwound string.

The sound I can get on these is probably the closest to an upright possible on a fretted electric.

12. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I only use two types of strings: TI Jazz Flats and D'A Chromes. Which I choose depends on how much the bass is worth. The less expensive ones get the Chromes. That is not to say the Chromes are cheap or inferior, it just makes no sense for me to put hi-dollar strings on my imported basses.

One exception to my original statement: My fretless Carvin is strung with GHS 3060 Tapewounds.

13. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I am firmly in the TI corner...loving the tone and playability.

14. jmcdan3

jmcdan3

Aug 27, 2007
    YES!!!!!!!!! I have them on my vintage 66 precision and they are the best thing on the planet.....especially combined with an ampeg

15. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    Sadowsky!