1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What flats would you dress this bass up in? and why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassmaticmatt, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    This is the bass. It's a very nice parts bass. I actually posted a thread involving this bass a while back. That was before I caught it being properly represented. Long story short it was posted as a custom built bass by a well known builder. In actually it's a custom built bass by some guy. The wood used is nice. The electronics nice as well.
    Sorry for getting derailed.
    All this to ask. What flats would you string this up with and why? 20161228_113540. 20161228_113530. 20161228_113514.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    As usual, it depends. What sound are you after?

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I bought them after reading all the positive remarks on the "Strings" page.
    Couldn't resist the price.
    Liked them so much they're on my G&L L-2000 and SB-2
    [IMG]%20Liked%20them%20so%20much%20I%20have%20them%20on%20my%20G&L%20L-2000%20and%20SB-2.

4. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Me likey the Chromes

5. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Go with the best: LaBellas. They are the smoothest to the touch. They have a lovely vintage thump. They actually improve with age.

armybass, Mattrill, Handman and 5 others like this.
  6. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    Not really looking for a particular sound. A smooth round sound If i had to give an answer.

woodyng2 likes this.
  7. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    That price can't be beat. That's for sure.

Eikari and jd56hawk like this.
  8. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    TI Flats are one of the best sounding of all the flats. But damn!........they are so expensive! They are also on the floppy side with with their low tension. Weak necks with near maxed out truss rods love low tension strings and most flat have a strong "yank". So, TIs are a string to consider.

I like the Sadowsky flats a lot.

Lakland sells a decent set of flats.

The LaBella 760 FL set is excellent.

GHS flats are nice but have very high tension!

nixdad and ColdEye like this.
  9. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    +1

Since you're asking the way that you're asking, I shall assume that you've never tried flats. If this is the case, it's always safe to start with Chromes. They sound great and are relatively inexpensive if you decide that they are not for you.

10. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    I have used TI's a few years ago, Fender flats, and Chromes. My preference, at least for now, is the Fender's. A little bit less bright than the chrome's, although neither sound bad at all. TI's seemed less versatile to me, but that was years ago, so my memory could be off. They FEEL amazing however.

Eikari and tattooSAM like this.
  11. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    My only experience with flats are the ones that came on my jazz bass and I really like those. They are Ernie ball regular slinky flats. Is there anything that is directly comparable to those. I'm not opposed to getting some more slinkys also.

12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwounds - my new favorite flats.

They start out sounding almost as bright as rounds, and mellow slowly with each use.
    They are supple feeling (for flats), and I experienced none of the "stickiness" normally associated with new flats.
    The set on my Classic 50's P are about a year old now, and are sounding phenomenal.
    If you want smooth & round, its right here.
    I keep the volume knob on the bass at 9, & roll the tone back to around 4, and it sounds like P-Bass Heaven. :bassist:

jnumme, franvarin and madjazzbass like this.
  13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    TI Flats on all mine. Very pricey but last a decade and more. They bring out the best on every bass.

14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I've never tried EB flats. Someone else will probably chime in shortly. Maybe edit your OP to include that you've tried them and are looking for something kinda similar?

lowplaces and Fluid Power like this.
  15. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    I've had GHS Precision Flats on my SB-2 for a week and so far I love them!
    My usual companions are TI FLats and/or Fender Flats - different but both excellent.

nerkoids and Plucky The Bassist like this.
  16. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    I really want to know what you the reader would use on this bass and why. I think it's interesting to hear the different reasons.

17. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    For some reason I have an itch lately to give these a try.

18. Another vote for the Fender flats :thumbsup:, second place for me are the Dunlop 45-105 set.

19. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Chromes are the best.

Growlmonkee and BurnOut like this.
  20. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    My preference is LaBella 760FL. They are smooth, have a balanced and lighter tension and seem to get better with time.