What flatwound for Carvin jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by el jeffe bass, Jul 15, 2017.

1. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I have a Carvin J type bass with a bolt on neck. I bought it as my "round wound" bass and it works great with rounds but I'm just NOT a fan of rounds. The only problem with switching to flats is that this particular bass has a very thin neck and I worry about stressing it with high tension strings. So T.B. What flats offer lower tension and a BIT brighter tone than my P-bass with Deep talking flats?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. I would suggest the Fender 9050L (45-60-80-100). Affordable, middle-of-the-road, all-purpose flats. The overall tension (pulling weight) is no more than a typical 45-105 set of rounds.

By the way, don't confuse "tension" (pulling weight) with "stiffness" (playing feel). When people talk about flats being "high tension", they're actually referring to their "stiffness".

Eikari, Pbassmanca, Pyrat and 2 others like this.
  4. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree with what Michael T said about Fender flats. They are a good middle of the road, all purpose flat. However, they are a bit too middle of the road for me. They don't have the thump that La Bella flats have or the growl that Chromes have. That's why I have La Bella flats on my P Bass and Chromes on my Jazz bass. Chromes definitely have a thump too once they're broken in a little bit. They feel nice and smooth too.

5. My Fender Jazz started out with the Chromes ECB84 (40-60-80-100). The only thing I didn't like about it was the 40-G always sounded brighter (or "twangy"?) than the rest...even after four years. When I switched to the Fender 9050L, I found the 45-G balanced better with the rest with no twang.

Also, the Chromes are all about the hi-mid clank, while the Fenders are for the low-mid grind. I definitely like the Fenders better on my J.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  6. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, the G string on Chromes is always a little brighter than the rest of the strings. That's the only thing that I don't like about them. I didn't really hear much grind in the Fenders, though, but they were on my P Bass, not my Jazz.

physics and el jeffe bass like this.
  7. Fender 9050s are a better match for a J than a P. I would take the La Bella over Fender for my P any day.

8. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Thank you all for your responses. Looks like the fenders might get the nod. I have La Bella DTF's on my American P-bass and and old set of flats (unknown brand) on my fretless P-bass. I guess that I am just a flatwound kinda guy.

Pbassmanca and michael_t like this.
  9. One word of caution regarding the Fender flats...
    They start out very bright and "clangy" right out of the package. Give it a month or two and they will eventually settle down while retaining some of the punchy mids.

Pbassmanca and el jeffe bass like this.
  10. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I 've had the D'addario Chrome(45, 65, 80, 100) regular light(EC B81) strings on my narrow-necked Gibson Thunderbird for about two years now.

As you may know, these basses are notorious for neck breaks near the headstock. I've not had any problems with the bass wearing these strings and the tuning remains stable. The very low action and neck relief may have helped, reducing the bending moment on the neck.

11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats have very low tension but sound GREAT and are amazingly sensitive. Also, you might want to look into Tapewound strings. Big fan of La Bella White Nylon Tapewounds and D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewounds. Lower tension than most flats but not too loose that you're playin with rubber bands.

12. LaBella low tension flats. They're awesome.

13. Yep, the TI flats. Your neck won't even notice it has them on :thumbsup:.

14. 1. TI Jazz Flats
    2. GHS Precision Flats .40-.95
    3. Fender .40-.100
    These are the ones I have experience with. They are wonderful.

15. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Another vote for the Tomastiks. They are the lowest tension I've tried (and I've tried many). I'll add the one caveat that I personally don't like them if you downtune at all. Otherwise, I think they're fabulous and as someone else said, your neck won't even know they're there :)

Element Zero and el jeffe bass like this.
  16. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    I've got two Jazz's with chromes on them, no intention of changing anytime soon. In my opinion they give you the mellow clarity of flats but still retain quite a bit of that Jazz "growl" when the tone is full engaged.

Thuddy Waters and el jeffe bass like this.
  17. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    This makes me want to try a set of the Fenders on my D Lakin JO

18. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    It may help to contact Carvin . I'm sure that they can help with this question .

19. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    I really like chrome + jazz!

Thuddy Waters and el jeffe bass like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021