1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what flatwound string(s) has the best sustain?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mastershake, May 19, 2011.

1. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    iv been using roundwound strings for years and im thinking of switching to flats but dont want to give up the sustain i get with rounds. iv heard flats tend to have less sustain how much im not so sure. flat wounds just seem they would sound more focused with a more dominant fundamental. any suggestions?

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Chromes... i never measured, but they suit me well! even too much sustain (and high end) maybe, i may go for something different if i break any of the strings (not worth replacing though, with a tone knob and technique, I can control pretty much everything)...

back in Europe I used Pyramids, nice vintage tones :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    chromes do have a lot of sustain before they go dead, but the most sustainy flats i ever tried were ti jazz flats. they refused to go dead on me, so that sustain will last a long time.

4. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
  5. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    +1

6. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    i guess the best suggestion thus far has been the ti's but seem expensive although they seem they'll last a long time. has any one had experience with dr high beam flats? would it be the next best thing to ti's as far as sustain goes?

7. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Chromes for sure. In my experience they have more sustain than TIs.

I don't know for heavier gauge, but I'm talking about the 40-100 gauge here. Bigger gauges may have more thump/less sustain.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sustain is more a function of having good quality materials in the instrument put together properly so no undue resonances of the instrument sap the sustain.

That said, my Fender 9050CL flats on my custom fanned fret P-style bass will sustain into next week. When playing the bass for a jazz/dance band gig, I actually had to stuff foam under the bridge cover to lessen the sustain to phrase more appropriately.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for Chromes. As I recall the TI Jazz flats also have nice sustain, but it's been too many years since I've played them.

10. I will have to go with TIs as well. They really are a group all their own.